Help with raster mosaic

Jump to solution
03-20-2017 02:08 PM
AlexBullen1
Occasional Contributor II

Hello, I'm working with my first set of aerial image deliverables. The images came in .tifs with an accompanying TFW, XML, and OVR file for each tile. The goal is to combine all the images that comprise my area of interest so that I can use the resultant image as a basemap for future maps.

From ESRI's help docs and this forum, I created a geodatabase, created a new mosaic dataset, and added rasters to the dataset. I included the TIF, FTW, XML and OVR in the selection for good measure (mistake?). I checked the boxes for calculate statistics, build pyramids, build thumbnails ,update cell size ranges, update boundary, and estimate mosaic dataset statistics, and left the rest of the boxes on default.

The resultant mosaic is a boundary, a footprint, and an "image" that is completely blank. I ran the Calculate Statistics tool on it again, and it's still blank. What am I missing to get a complete image?

Thanks, Alex

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Just you need to Build Overviews.

From ArcCatalog , right click on the mosaic dataset > optimize > Build Overviews...

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So these were the initial  help topics you followed so issues can be identified

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

Just you need to Build Overviews.

From ArcCatalog , right click on the mosaic dataset > optimize > Build Overviews...

AlexBullen1

Clutch move. This did the trick. Thanks Abdullah!

Alex

0 Kudos
AlexBullen1

Now can I delete the original TIF files and just use the mosaic as the basemap?

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

Images already store inside Mosaic dataset. but don't delete original TIF, because maybe you need a backup.

0 Kudos