Select to view content in your preferred language

Geometric networks -problem Validating network using ArcGIS 10 SP3.

10-27-2011 10:35 AM
NateFears
New Contributor
We are testing ArcGIS 10 prior to upgrading our organization from ArcGIS 9.3.1.  We have ArcGIS 10 SP3 and had upgraded our SDE test database to the current version prior to installing SP3.  I'm having problems with our existing geometric networks that were working fine in version 9.3.1.  I cannot validate features; I get an error message stating:

"Field d_PipeSize attribute value 0 is not member of coded value domain d_PipeSize."

This error is not true because 0 is a coded value of our domain table and everything works fine in 9.3.1.  Also, if I create a new geometric network within the same SDE version 10 geodatabase (having the same domain tables) the validation works fine.

Does this mean that I'll have to recreate my geometric networks within the version 10 database?  I heard that SP2 was supposed to correct certain errors regarding geometric network features having z values, but those bug fixes didn't sound related to validation.  I was hoping SP2 and SP3 would have corrected my validation problem but it seems like it has not.  Does anyone know if there is a solution to get my existing geometric networks operating smoothly without having to recreate them?

Also, if I have to recreate, is there any functionality in ArcGIS 10 that will export or document my geometric network rules/schema so I don�??t have to do it manually?

Thanks,
-Nate
0 Kudos
6 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor
Nate,

You should not have to recreate your geometric network when moving to 10.0.  Note that this issue probably has nothing to do with your geometric network, validate works on the feature classes, not the network in this type of scenario.

Can you extract out a subset of the data to a file or personal geodatabase and reproduce the issue?  You can use the Extract Data command on the Distributed Geodatabase toolbar to do this.  If so, can you attach it to the thread?
0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor
Nate, one other question, what is the field type of the domain?
0 Kudos
NateFears
New Contributor
Hi Craig,

I was planning on trying to do a data transfer (drag/drop) of my geometric net. to a new dataset in a file gdb and see if I get the same behavior and if not, drag it back over to my sde database.  I will look into your method and consider attaching it to the thread; I haven't done that before.

The actual domain is a coded value with field type of Float.

My feature class's attribute field containing this domain is short integer, precision 5 and default value of 0. 

I have no problems performing validations on my existing 9.3.1 db which is what we copied our version 10 db from and it has the same properties listed above.

Thanks Craig!
-Nate
0 Kudos
NateFears
New Contributor
More info:

I have 3 geometric networks: Storm, Water, and Sewer.  The storm network is the one previously mentioned giving me problems when validating the swPipe feature class.  I just performed the same validation test with a water pipe (waPipe) feature and sewer pipe (wwPipe) feature in my other 2 respective geometric networks and the validation worked fine! 

The same domain is used for each of my 3 feature classes:  Domain name: �??d_PipeSize�?�, Field Type = Float, and Domain Type =  Coded Value.  This domain contains whole numbers and fractional numbers and why we chose the type = Float
The attribute field type for swPipe FC holding the d_PipeSize domain is Short Integer.
The attribute field type for the waPipe and wwPipe FCs holding the d_PipeSize domain is Double.

My current thought about this problem is that the field types between the attribute field and the domain conflict at some level.   swPipe > d_PipeSize attribute field is Short Integer, but our d_PipeSize domain is Float.  We need the domain to be Float since we have decimal values in the domain (1.5, 0.75, 1.25).  I think that the validate command sees a problem between the Short Integer attribute field, (Short Integer only allows whole numbers) and the domain of Float which contains fractional values.
I however don�??t know why our current 9.3.1 SDE geometric network allows the validate to work properly and when I create a new geometric network in our version 10 SDE database the validate works fine on my storm features�?�maybe creating a new geometric network forces certain references?
Do you think this is at all on the right track?

Thanks,
-Nate
0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor
Nate, this sounds like a bug with Attribute Domains of type Float.  I don't think it has anything to do with the geometric network.  The best way to handle this is to get a tech support incident logged so they can look at the issue.

We are looking at some other issues with Domains and Validation for 10.0 SPs, this issue might be related to one of them.
0 Kudos
NateFears
New Contributor
Thanks Craig, will do!

I was also going to try creating a new field in my swPipe FC but with the type Double, populate with my original values, delete the old d_PipeSize field, then do the same thing back again into a new field with the original field name.  This time the field will be the Double type, just like my other waPipe and wwPipe FCs that had no problems with the validate.  

Thanks,
-Nate
0 Kudos