Select to view content in your preferred language

Image Analysis: Change output of stacked file?

10-24-2011 11:57 AM
StephenChignell
New Contributor II
Hi all,

I am working with stacking landsat imagery in image analysis, and I'm wondering if there is a way to change the output folder of the composite layer; right now it automatically puts it in a temp folder, and I want to know how to put it into a folder of my choosing.

Any ideas?

I'm working with Image Analysis in Arcmap 10 FYI.

Steve
0 Kudos
5 Replies
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Stephen,

If you are referring to the composite bands button on the Image Analysis Window, then the answer is no.  All the buttons in that window create what is called 'function rasters' which are temporary until you save them.  You could change your windows system TEMP directory to another folder if you really want it to go somewhere else, but that is at the OS level.  You should notice in the properties of the layer that the status is temporary.  No pixels have even been written to disc.  This is why the result of the composite bands button is created so fast.  Everything happens on the fly.

A full explanation can be found here:
Rasters with Functions

If you don't want to work with function rasters (temporary rasters), then you can run the Composite Bands tool from ArcToolbox where you are in full control of the environment settings. e.g. workspaces

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
StephenChignell
New Contributor II
Eric,

I didn't realize that was how the image analysis window worked, thanks for the explanation!  I think I'll work from the toolbox from now on, as I have a couple dozen to stack, and then I need to convert them all to feature classes anyway, so having them all organized in the target files I want will be great.  Thanks again!

Steve
0 Kudos
StephenChignell
New Contributor II
I've been trying to use the composite bands tool both in arcCatalog and arcMap in order to stack these landsats, but each time I try, it fails and gives the general error 999999.  I have no spaces in my file line and I can't figure out what the problem could be.  Any ideas?

Steve
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear that the toolbox tool is not working. I'd suggest contacting Esri Support.  In the meantime you can create the images you need with the IAW window, get your temporary rasters, right click and export them to save them to disk.

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
StephenChignell
New Contributor II
Thanks for the help Eric,

Yeah that's what I've been doing.

Steve
0 Kudos