Geodatabase upgrade feedback

02-02-2010 08:47 AM
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor
Hi Beta users,

We would like to get some feedback from our Beta users regarding your Geodatabase upgrades.

We are looking to hear about any of the following:
- Problems/errors upgrading
- Usability >>> Was it hard to figure out? How did you figure out what to do?
- Documentation >>> Was there anything that wasn�??t clear in the doc? Was the doc hard to find?
- Suggestions >>> Is there anything that you would like to see improved about the new upgrade experience?

It doesn�??t all have to be problems you have encountered, let us know what you liked as well :).

Please let us know what type of Geodatabase you are upgrading, what was the pre-upgrade release, and if it was ArcSDE what DBMS and platform.

We are working hard to make this release the best yet and your feedback is greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Hi Beta users,

We would like to get some feedback from our Beta users regarding your Geodatabase upgrades.

- Documentation >>> Was there anything that wasn�??t clear in the doc? Was the doc hard to find?
- Suggestions >>> Is there anything that you would like to see improved about the new upgrade experience?

It doesn�??t all have to be problems you have encountered, let us know what you liked as well :).

Please let us know what type of Geodatabase you are upgrading, what was the pre-upgrade release, and if it was ArcSDE what DBMS and platform.

We are working hard to make this release the best yet and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

I would make this a sticky.

I had problems at beta 1, but none so far at beta 2.

I found out from you, thanks to you i did not read the help, but will have Bart take a look see.

My upgrades so far have been all file GBs, I like that I can upgrade between betas, thats nice.  Also, it just seems more unified inside of the whole ArcGIS experience, while before, from a SDE perspective, it was a bit more confusing, it seemed like your upgrade was handled as part of the install, but then sometimes things just didn't work right, so you forced to go sde command line, now with this approach, there is one way to upgrade across all platforms.  This greatly simplifies the understanding of how to upgrade a GDB, one way for all is best, at least this is my thinking.  I am sure there are command line die hards, that will not like this, but there are more of us (GUI users), than command line users.
0 Kudos
JonHall
Occasional Contributor II
Russell-
ESRI needs to create the 10 separate branches under this ArcSDE forum by DBMS platform and topic; you had a goodt hing going on the old forums, don't "fix it" if it isn't broke!

What's with 'GEODATABASE AND' ArcSDE?

The ArcSDE forums are now going to be home for any geodatabase question?

Most times SDE admins are in the forums because they're having a problem, need quick answers, and may be under pressure to solve an issue.

If ESRI expects users to browse through hundreds of thread topics all under "Geodatabase & ArcSDE", with cryptic subject lines looking for those that apply to SQL SERVER vs. ORACLE, or Performance Tuning vs. Installation or Licensing, I doubt I'll ever find a solution here in the future.

ESRI is slowly 'killing the goose that laid the golden egg', eliminating ArcSDE Enterprise as a separate product, shoe-horning it into the ArcGIS Server installation media package, (although still on it's own separate DVD); and now dumbing-down it's user's forums. This is a great product, and has some very loyal users.

Let us know how we can help you get the new forums.arcgis.com up-to-speed for die-hard ARCSDE users.
Thanks!
Jon
0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III
Not happy with the new look for similar reasons.  I like browsing SDE on SQL Server issues which can be done in the old forums.  SDE issues on Oracle for instance are rarely relevant. I would like to see another level of subforums by database type.
0 Kudos
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor
Jon,
The intent of the Geodatabase and ArcSDE forums are to capture all information as it pertains to these topics. Our decision to go with the current structure was from user feedback indicating that the previous versions of the forums were too fragmented (there were 17 related to Geodatabase and ArcSDE combined). This resulted in cross posts to multiple forums in an attempt to get answers to questions. Our hope is that having lots of people looking at fewer forums rather than a few people looking at lots of forums will result in a larger community of users seeing more conversations.  That said, we may have gone a bit too far with the Geodatabase and ArcSDE forum. We expect to modify the categories based on activity and user feedback. During the beta, the combined Geodatabase & ArcSDE forum seemed to work well.  As traffic on the forum increases, we'll consider and quickly decide when and how it needs to be split.  Input like yours helps us a great deal, so we appreciate your time to post this.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
The upgrade appears easy, but there were problems.  The details are:
Could not add item to catalog (pd_data_prod.INFRASTRUCTURE.ZIPCODE_GENERALIZED).
Underlying DBMS error [Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0: Parsing XML with internal subset DTDs not allowed. Use CONVERT with style option 2 to enable limited internal subset DTD support.] [pd_data_prod.sde.GDB_Items]
Deleting catalog tables.
Deleted catalog tables.
Unpaused the database.
Failed to execute (UpgradeGDB).
Failed at Fri May 28 11:32:38 2010 (Elapsed Time: 4.00 seconds)
0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor
Jackie,

The error you ran into is a known issue that we've addressed for 10.0 Final.  The metadata of the feature class that the upgrade failed on pd_data_prod.INFRASTRUCTURE.ZIPCODE_GENERALIZED, contains a Document Type Definition (DTD).  For final, we'll be removing these from the metadata.  In the meantime, if you need to upgrade this geodatabase, you can get around this issue by deleting the metadata associated with the feature class.  If you're not able to do this, you'll have to wait for 10.0 Final before proceeding.
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
-------------------------------------------------------
ArcSDE 10.0  for Oracle11g Build 685 Fri May 14 12:05:43  2010
-------------------------------------------------------

ST_Geometry Schema Owner: (SDE) Type Release: 1007
Instance initialized for ((sde)) . . .

Connected to instance . . .
WARNING: SDETMP: Setting temp path to c:\temp
SQL Stmt: <DROP PROCEDURE SDE6712_TEST>
ERROR in checking system st_geometry type (1).
Error checking the existence of system tables. Run
the Upgrade Geodatabase tool to install/upgrade system tables (-450).
Refer ArcSDE installation guide for instructions.
0 Kudos
ForrestJones
Esri Contributor
Hi Richard,

Will you please check a few things?

1- Is there any more info in your arcgis client machine's %TEMP%\sdesetup.log?

2- Is there any more info in your arcgis client machine's %TEMP%\sdedc_Oracle.log?

3- Is this a custom stored procedure you have created? "SDE6712_TEST"

Thanks
0 Kudos
STEVENDINASO
New Contributor
Hi Beta users,

We upgraded our file geodatabases from 9.3 to 10.0.  Suffice to say, all of our geodatabases which used relationship classes no longer have the relationship classes.  Additionally, all feature classes in their original feature datasets now appear in the geodatabase as stand-alone tables and the feature datasets are empty.  Many of our raster catalogs are no longer functional....
0 Kudos