Geodatabase - MSSQL upload issue

11-13-2013 05:12 AM
HugoAhlenius
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

We recently upgraded desktop to ArcGIS 10.2, and now I am getting errors when trying to load data to our MSSQL 2005 geodatabase. This is a direct connection, we have retired ArcSDE that was previously running on that server.

The error I am getting is:

ERROR 000210: Canot create output
Underlying DBMS error [HY104:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]Invalid precision value]
DBMS table not found
Failed to execute (FeatureClassToFeatureClass)

Any tips?
0 Kudos
10 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
ArcGIS 10.2 supports SQL-Server 2008 and 2012.  It does not support SQL-Server 2005.

- V
0 Kudos
HugoAhlenius
Occasional Contributor
Aha, thanks! Any major reason why it wouldn't work, unsupported? The geodatabase format hasn't changed from 10.1 to 10.2, right?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
I'd think the low-level database driver errors would qualify as a reason.  And the geodatabase
did change between 10.1 and 10.2 (an upgrade is necessary). 

SQL-Server 2005 was introduced over eight years ago, which is three computer generations.
Oracle 10gR1 was in that generation, and it's not supported by modern software either.

- V
0 Kudos
HugoAhlenius
Occasional Contributor
ok!

Under upgrade status for the connection (direct connection) it lists: "This 10.0 geodatabase matches the ArcGIS release you are currently using." - when I examine it using ArcCatalog 10.2...
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
My 10.0 geodatabase reports "This 10.0 geodatabase matches the ArcGIS release you are currently using, however, database internals such as stored procedures can be upgraded."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29134[/ATTACH]

Then again, I'm using SQL-Server 2008.

- V
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
Hugo,

It seems that this is what you are observing:
[#NIM088600 Message displayed with a 10.1 ArcGIS Desktop's upgrade dialog is incorrect when connected to ArcSDE database on a 32 bit database architecture since it states that the database is at its newest release. ]

http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/TklNMDg4NjAw

The above NIM was logged for Oracle and Desktop 10.1, but it may be true for Desktop 10.2 and 32-Bit SQL Server as well.

Regards,
0 Kudos
PaulLohr
Occasional Contributor III

Asrujit,

I have seen the same behavior with ArcGIS Desktop 10.2, and SQL Server 2005.

Vince,

I am not going to take the time to find it now, but there is documentation stating that ArcGIS Desktop 10.2 is compatible with SQL Server 2005. I am currently using the two products together.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

SQL-Server 2005 was released nearly nine years ago (with the last service pack issued four years ago), and I haven't found any indication that Microsoft is still supporting it either. According to the 10.1/10.2 Deprecation Plan  (p. 7 of 10), enterprise geodatabases are not supported with SQL-Server 2005, starting at 10.1:

• ArcGIS 10.1 for Server will not support Microsoft SQL Server 2005 with enterprise geodatabases.
    At 10.1, enterprise geodatabases will support SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2. Esri also intends to
    support SQL Server Denali (SQL Server 2011) with 10.1 enterprise geodatabases once Denali is in
    final release.
  • [Correction March 14, 2013] Microsoft released the next version of SQL Server as SQL Server 2012.

Three major releases is usual for Esri RDBMS support (2008, 2008R2, and 2012).  Reverse compatibility on drivers may extend the use of elderly database products, but they remain unsupported (If they work, fine, but if they don't, there isn't anything that can be done).

- V

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

To add to what Vince mentioned above, ESRI *does not restrict\prevent* customers from connecting to a SQL Server 2005 geodatabase. ESRI does not support connections from Desktop 10.1 and later releases, to a SQL Server 2005 geodatabase.

Thus even though you will be able to connect just fine, you may encounter inconsistencies down the line.

When looking for documentation regarding compatibility and System requirements, I believe the below links should always be preferred..

System Requirements‌ (10.1)

System Requirements‌ (10.2.x)

The supported database versions are very clearly mentioned at the beginning of these links.

0 Kudos