Geodatabase Designer alternative for version 10?

02-29-2012 12:23 PM
GavinMcGhie
Occasional Contributor
Hi all
I've been using the Geodatabase Designer tool for years to export and save off my GDB schema. It enabled me to save off an independent network schema as well, which came in handy a few times. It looks like this tool is not updated to work with version 10 though. I realize there is a Catalog tool to export XML workspace, but it doesn't seem as slick. Also, you cannot export the network, etc separately and the output is not as easy to read. I'm wondering what others are using to save off their schema when they make changes? Do you just use the built in export tool(s) now or do you have some other alternative to Geodatabase Designer?
Thanks, Gavin
0 Kudos
11 Replies
DouglasOlcott
New Contributor
We have found that the XRAY for ArcCatalog 10 add-in provides all the functionality we missed in Geodatabase Designer 2, such as being able to edit the XML workspace document and change the forward path label and the backward path label of any feature.  See
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=c181d52a95b946abab6208322dc8410b
for information on this add-in.
0 Kudos
Jean-PaulHill
New Contributor
Have you taken a look at the ArcGIS Diagrammer.  There is a new version for 10 which does many of the same fucntions and more.  More information may be found here.

Hi Jon, is the Geodatabase Designer Extension still available for ver 9.3.1 Rev 2? If so, please let me know where to find it. Thank you.

Jean-Paul Hill
Engineering Aide, Electric
Silicon Valley Power
City of Santa Clara
0 Kudos