Only one spatial column is supprted in this operation error

Jump to solution
02-05-2014 06:05 AM
RyanStovern__GISP
Occasional Contributor
I am at a confused look on my face. I have a feature that is a static dataset, but for some reason I started getting an error about 2 weeks ago saying that "Only one spatial column is supported in this operation". Has anyone else seen this and if so how to resolve it. I can view the feature in SQL Management Studio, but not in ArcGIS.

ArcSDE 10.1
SQL Server 2008 R2

Thanks for the help,

Ryan
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ryanstovern

I have figured out what the problem was. It appeared that an user added a field called Shape_ and GIS was being confused by two shape fields. I deleted the Shape_ in SQL and now the feature works again.

Ryan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ryanstovern

I have figured out what the problem was. It appeared that an user added a field called Shape_ and GIS was being confused by two shape fields. I deleted the Shape_ in SQL and now the feature works again.

Ryan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mboeringa2010

A single dataset / table with spatial objects in them (geometries), is called a Feature Class in ArcGIS. It is better to refer to that, than to talk about "I have a feature"... It avoids confusion.

Good to hear you managed to fix this, this Help page also gives guidance for Feature Classes in ArcGIS, including the need to restrict spatial tables to one spatial column only:

Rules for creating spatial tables to be used with ArcGIS
0 Kudos