geocoding

05-07-2015 03:00 AM
PrajaChintya1
New Contributor II

I want to ask about geocoding. I want to do geocoding with point data as reference data. When I make an address locator use point data as reference data, the process is always failed. For reference data lines and area did not experience any problems. What causes the error?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

For point feature class to geocode, just try the GP tool 'Geocode addresses' as follows:

Assumed that you are using 10.1 or higher (Address Locators contain MGRS and ArcGIS Online, at least).

1.Click the Tools menu in ArcMap, point to Geocoding, then click Geocoding Addresses.

2.Click the address locator you want to use to geocode the table of addresses and click OK.
     This will close the dialog box and open the Geocode Addresses dialog box.
     If the address locator you want to use does not appear in the list, click Add to browse for the address locator.

3.Click the dropdown arrow, then click the table you want to geocode.
     If the table does not appear in the dropdown list, click the Browse button to browse for the table.

4.Choose the column name from each dropdown list that contains the specified address information.
     The names of the required address attributes are shown in bold type.

5.Click the Browse button and navigate to the location where you want to create the geocoded feature class.

6.Click Save.

7.Choose the Create dynamic feature class related to table option if desired.

8.Click Advanced Geometry Options to specify the geometry settings for the geocoded feature class.

9.Specify the geometry settings for the geocoded feature class and click OK.

10.Click Geocoding Options and specify the geocoding options that will be used to geocode the table of addresses, then click OK.

11.Click OK on the Geocode Addresses dialog box to geocode the table.

12.Click Done.

StevenGraf1

Hey Praja,

What type of locator are you trying to build using the point data?  When I create locators with point data, I select the General Address Locator.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Steven

0 Kudos
PrajaChintya1
New Contributor II

Hi Steven,

I am trying to build general-single field locator.

Praja

0 Kudos
larryzhang

If willing to generate 'general-single field locator', easily to try the GP tool 'Standardize Addresses'...

0 Kudos
PrajaChintya1
New Contributor II

Okay, thank you Larry

I'll try to use GP tool.

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1

I see what's happening, the background geoprocessing is failing.  Go up to the Geoprocessing menu, then click geoprocessing options.  Uncheck Enable background geoprocessing.  Then try to create the locator.

0 Kudos
PrajaChintya1
New Contributor II

Okay, I'll try it.

Thanks Steven.

0 Kudos
RakeshSinha
Occasional Contributor

Hi Praja,

Choice of locator style plays an important role while creating an address locator as the locator style depends on the kind of reference data we're using. Please go through the following link and check if the geometry of the reference data fits the locator style you’re selecting.

Commonly used address locator styles—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop