Geocoding

11-12-2014 03:08 PM
trevonjohnson
New Contributor

Can anyone post the link where I can get x,y coordinates from? I need these coordinates to geo locate addresses.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MirceaMaierean
New Contributor III

To batch geocode I suggest using the free* TAMU geoservices. They give you about 5000 free credits to use.

FeliciaSenn
New Contributor

TAMU has a truly phenomenal geocoding service.

0 Kudos
trevonjohnson
New Contributor

I am getting the same coordinates for each address im putting in..that can not be right.

0 Kudos
FeliciaSenn
New Contributor

Are you using their online batch geocoder? Or their desktop application? I've never used their desktop application, so I can't speak to the validity of it. However, when I needed 300 some addresses geocoded, their online batch coder was perfect. Here's the link for the batch geocoder: Free online database geocoding services from Texas A&M Geoservices

If you have ArcGIS for Home edition (and the credits) you can also use the Esri geocoding engine.

Otherwise, if you're really strapped for credits and aren't comfortable uploading to TAMU, QGIS (Welcome to the QGIS project! ) is a free GIS platform which can support a Python plug-in that will geocode for you through the internet (installation instructions for plugin: MMQGIS ). This solution isn't as accurate as Esri's offered geocoding, but if you're just making a map for fun, practicing, et cetera, it will make shapfiles for you that can be imported into Esri's available layers. I used this when I was experimenting with GIS and learning how shapefiles worked.

0 Kudos
trevonjohnson
New Contributor

I have my X,Y coordinates in an excel sheet with other information as well. i have a blank shape file created.. How do i add the excel sheet into the attribute table?

0 Kudos
MirceaMaierean
New Contributor III

File > Add Data > X,Y Data... inside Arcmap and choose excel sheet with the X,Y add them to the option fields and choose the coordinate system they were collected in typically the geographic WGS84 or NAD83.

0 Kudos
trevonjohnson
New Contributor

I am having trouble putting this excel spread into my attribute table.

0 Kudos
MirceaMaierean
New Contributor III

what do you mean by trouble? do they plot but show NULL values? Do they plot in the wrong location? They don't plot at all?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Personally, I think excel is a wonderful spreadsheet application, but it's just that; a spreadsheet. My suggestion is to import it into the flavor of geodatabase you prefer and follow this link.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos