Geocoding in 10.2.1 after upgrade from 10.1

02-06-2014 08:14 AM
JamisonPeevyhouse
New Contributor III
As thread title indicates, I've just upgraded from 10.1 to 10.2.1 and I am unable to geocode at all since doing so.

When going to "Geocode Adresses" I get the error: "Geocoding an address table with a definition query or selection set is not supported"

It hasnt even given me the option to select a table, etc. As soon as I click the button to bring up the dialog window it throws that error. I haven't been able to find anything on google relating to this issue, anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
It is something that we will be fixing soon but here is how to geocode the address table until we have a fix.

1.  Click the mailbox button with a table added to ArcMap but also make sure you have the table selected in the TOC or you will get the same error.
2.  Browse to the table in the Catalog window in ArcMap, right click on the table, and select �??Geocode Addresses�?��?�
3.  Use the GeocodeAddresses GP tool

Brad
HalStringer
New Contributor

Brad,

Just upgraded to 10.2.2. and issue is still there.  You said it was something that will be fixed soon.  Any update on the fix?

0 Kudos
JulianChen
New Contributor
I got the same problem
0 Kudos
JulianChen
New Contributor
It is something that we will be fixing soon but here is how to geocode the address table until we have a fix.

1.  Click the mailbox button with a table added to ArcMap but also make sure you have the table selected in the TOC or you will get the same error.
2.  Browse to the table in the Catalog window in ArcMap, right click on the table, and select �??Geocode Addresses�?��?�
3.  Use the GeocodeAddresses GP tool

Brad

I got the same problem
and I dont quite understand what brad5993 said.
What do you mean "Click the mailbox button with a a table added to ArcMap ...?"
I am now just studying on the manual and using the PghStreets. And I dont know what you mean " with a table added to ArcMap ...?" Do you mean add a new table not the default one?
Sorry could you help me figure out this problem?
Many thanks!
0 Kudos
DanRose
New Contributor III
powerjulianchen - he means to add the table to your .mxd just like you would a shapefile or feature class.  When it's inserted, it will appear in the 'List By Source' part of your Table of Contents, not in your Layer tree.  Then, you can right-click on the table and click geocode.
0 Kudos
JenniferMinnick
Occasional Contributor
So before the upgrade we could click on the little mailbox and browse for the necessary table on our computer to geocode with no problems and post upgrade we have to add the table to mxd and then geocode? 

That seems like a regression in functionality.

Also, the error implies that there is a query or selection set attached to our desired dataset when in fact we can't actually access our dataset (at least as we were used to doing).  There is no dataset yet when we get this error.
SatyaSamudrala
New Contributor
Same issue for me too..not sure how to fix this.. i've installed 10.2.2 from 10.2.1 . getting this error since i upgraded..can someone help on how to fix this
0 Kudos
DavidHunt1
New Contributor
I'm in the same boat too.  Recently upgraded to 10.2.2 and still get this error.  You have to geocode through the toolbox until this bug is fixed.
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

This is not fixed for 10.2.2 and we target fixing it for 10.3 but there are multiple ways to batch geocode from within ArcMap to work around this issue:

1.  Click the mailbox button with a table added to ArcMap (Drag and drop it into the TOC) but also make sure you have the table selected in the TOC or you will get the same error.

2.  Browse to the table in the Catalog window in ArcMap, right click on the table, and select "Geocode Addresses"

3.  Use the GeocodeAddresses GP tool under "Toolboxes">"System Toolboxes">"Geocoding Tools" in the Catalog window in ArcMap.

Brad

0 Kudos