Select to view content in your preferred language

Geocoding Developer's Kit for ArcGIS 10.0?

10-18-2010 01:36 PM
JonHall
Occasional Contributor II
Is there a "Geocoding Rule base Developer Guide", and GDK, for ArcGIS 10.0?

If so, how where may I obtain a copy?
Thanks,
Jon
I looked back a couple months in this forum, and Bruce H. had responded on 8/26/2010 to a similar Q:
"...10.x locators use the all-new geocoding engine in ArcGIS 10. These are customizable via editing the .lot.xml file(s) in the Locators directory. Documentation for this is still under construction, but you should be able to see similarities with the CLS file elements."

Any update on the status of that documentation?
Thanks,
Jon
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
GabiVoicu
Occasional Contributor

oops.... here the part that did not get pasted before

<def name="SubAddress">

<alt fallback="true">

<elt ref="OptBldgSubAddrType" weight="2"/>

<elt ref="OptBldgSubAddrUnit" weight="10" pre_separator="optional"/>

<elt ref="OptSubAddrType" weight="2"/> //////////this we made zero weight

<elt ref="OptSubAddrUnit" weight="7" pre_separator="optional"/>

</alt>

0 Kudos
GabiVoicu
Occasional Contributor

OMG Ronnie – thank you , thank you, thank you for your so very prompt response!

You just made my Friday !

Appreciate your inputs and sharing your discoveries a lot!

…it does help to hear and read about your links and comments !

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Ronnie

If your reference data has "Trail West" as the street name then the ArcGIS 10 geocoding engine will interpret any address accordingly, when geocoding.  The exception is in the Standardize Addresses tool, which will parse out the highest number of grammar components it can from the input, hence returning West as a suffix direction.

Regards
0 Kudos
GabiVoicu
Occasional Contributor

Hi Bruce

How exactly should we add the exception in the Standardize Address Tool for street names like "Trail West" to avoid returning West as a suffix but rather as a street name.....

We have a similar scenario on "Avenue S" for example and I'm sure there are many more like that and it seems to be common practice to be able to add an exception rule....but HOW?

Thank you

Gabi

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Gabi

If you geocode your addresses then the StName output will contain the value in the reference data, like 'Trail West' and 'Avenue South'.  For example this address:  "31541 Trail West Rd, Sylvia, Kansas, 67581"

...generates a StName value of 'Trail West' using the StreetMap Premium 2016 R3 USA locator.

The Standardize Addresses tool doesn't know what is in the reference data, whereas the Geocode Addresses tool does.  Back in the day parsing addresses was deterministic (any address had only one interpretation) and Standardize Addresses behaved in a controlled fashion.  We could not use that approach globally, so unfortunately you need to use Geocode Addresses to do the srandardization.  The World Service will work if you do not have StreetMap, but it will cost credits.

Regards

0 Kudos
GabiVoicu
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so very much for your answer Bruce!

Please help me understand better I'm a little confused.

What do you mean by "using the StreetMap Premium 2016 R3 USA locator"?

Yes, my reference data has StName as "Avenue S" but I'm not geocoding my addresses.

I'm trying to build a custom locator for our data to be used online on our city interactive maps.

When you talk about the Standardize Address Tool versus the Geocode Address Tool  - what's the difference ?

I really thought the Standardize Address Tool was the section called standardization under the USAddress.lot xml file that we can edit.

We did change a few things in this USAddress.lot file to match our data and we were hoping to learn how to add an exception rule or something to accommodate this scenario as well....

Thank you again

Best Regards

Gabi

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Gabi

There is a geoprocessing tool named Standardize Addresses in the system toolbox Geocoding Tools.tbx.

Its behavior with the style (i.e USAddress.lot.xml file) that ships with Desktop is indeed driven by the xml section you mention, but a far more predictable result is obtained by using the Geocode Addresses geoprocessing tool with a locator you build from your reference data.  I used a locator that we productize for the USA (Streetmap Premium), its latest release is the one I mentioned, Release 3 2016.  In ArcGIS 10.5 the USA locator style supports subaddressing too, like apartments.

If you go down the path of customizing a locator style there will likely always be a percentage of addresses where some ambiguous element is pulled into a prefix or suffix type or direction when you use Standardize Addresses

GabiVoicu
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very, very much Bruce for explaining all that to me - that really helps!

Why do you say 10.5 supports now subaddressing like apartments - isn't that already being supported at version 10.3 level ? That is what we're using and it does work with apartments as well.....

Your answer is being greatly appreciated

Thank you

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

My apologies, the latest style supports subaddresses better than earlier releases, there was a substantial rewrite.

If possible, use the USAddress.lot.xml file that ships with ArcGIS Pro 1.4.

0 Kudos
GabiVoicu
Occasional Contributor

Excellent - thank you so very much!

I didn't even know that we could do that - leave all our ESRI software at  version 10.3 and only use the USAaddress.lot file from 10.4. - is that correct ?.....omg brilliant idea (if that works!)

Thank you, Thank you

0 Kudos