Geocoding -- 10 vs 10.1

Jump to solution
07-10-2012 11:22 AM
MarkParr
New Contributor
I am running 10.1 ArcDesktop Standard and testing geocoding of some existing Shapefiles.  I have some previous 10 locator files that still exist and that work when I do an address FIND search.  I am defining my 10.1 locator files using the exact same paramaters/fields previously used for the original 10 locators.  However, when I do an address FIND with my new locator, the results consistently return nothing back.  If I search using the older 10 created locator I get results. 

Any ideas?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
24 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor
A standard practice that I have seen when it comes to geocoding addresses at the local level is to create an address locator that does not include zonal attributes (city, state, zip, emergency service number, community name.... are not mapped in the field mapping) and just find or geocode a list of addresses with just the house number and street name. The reason that the locators created without zone field mappings based on the Dual Range locator style at 10.1 do not find any matches is because the default setting for the 'supportsOptionalZone' property in the rules is set to false/no. This property determines whether or not addresses will be found or matched if a zone is not included in the input address in the geocoding toolbar, find tool, or batch geocoding.

To enable the supportsOptionalZone property of an existing address locator created at 10.1 use the following steps. Setting this option to "yes" will affect the performance for larger geographies.

1. In ArcCatalog or the Catalog window, right-click the address locator
2. Click Propertiesâ?¦
3. In the Geocoding Options section change 'Match with no zones' from â??noâ?? to â??yesâ??

Locator performance properties

-Shana B
MarkParr
New Contributor
A standard practice that I have seen when it comes to geocoding addresses at the local level is to create an address locator that does not include zonal attributes (city, state, zip, emergency service number, community name.... are not mapped in the field mapping) and just find or geocode a list of addresses with just the house number and street name. The reason that the locators created without zone field mappings based on the Dual Range locator style at 10.1 do not find any matches is because the default setting for the 'supportsOptionalZone' property in the rules is set to false/no. This property determines whether or not addresses will be found or matched if a zone is not included in the input address in the geocoding toolbar, find tool, or batch geocoding. 

To enable the supportsOptionalZone property of an existing address locator created at 10.1 use the following steps.   Setting this option to "yes" will affect the performance for larger geographies.

2. Click Propertiesâ?¦ 
3. In the Geocoding Options section change 'Match with no zones' from â??noâ?� to â??yesâ?� 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17330[/ATTACH] 

-Shana B

That seems to make a difference as well. Thanks for the info.
0 Kudos
JamesHarrington
New Contributor III
I've spent many hours trying all these options without any luck. Really disappointed in 10.1
0 Kudos
BenjaminHarper
New Contributor III
I've been using a v10.0 composite locator, running in 10.1 and have had ArcMap repeatedly crash when I try to geocode a batch from a file gdb table, only 46 records. The table has street, city, state and zip code fields. Composite locator is on machine and not as service, so not a time out-issue. The locator is made up of one dual range street and two point locators. All have "match with no zones = yes". This same locator used to work fine in 10.0 without fail. I found that the input mappings were all set to <None> for each participating locator, which in 10 appeared to have pre-loaded address fields. Was the change to no pre-loaded fields a change from 10 to 10.1? Do I need to do this for other locators?

Best,
Ben H.[ATTACH=CONFIG]17698[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
deleted-user-vpHnfyiCToFz
Occasional Contributor
I do not see bug #NIM081790 being addressed in ArcGIS 10.1 SP1.  Can someone from ESRI confirm that this will indeed be fixed in sp1?
0 Kudos
KevinBell
Occasional Contributor III

To enable the supportsOptionalZone property of an existing address locator created at 10.1 use the following steps.   Setting this option to "yes" will affect the performance for larger geographies.

2. Click Propertiesâ?¦ 
3. In the Geocoding Options section change 'Match with no zones' from â??noâ?� to â??yesâ?� 

-Shana B

This IS NOT fixing my basic dual range geocoder that works in 10... Big Bummer. I guess I better alert my co-workers!
0 Kudos
AdrianaMcMullen
New Contributor II
I am in Canada and have a table of addresses that I am trying to geocode. In the past I had not had any difficulty creating a locator service using a road network file that identified the address ranges for the left and right side of individual street segments.

I've created a new address locator using the dual range style based on a road network file that seems to match up well with the builder (it correctly identifies the fromleft, toleft, fromright, toright fields, as well as the streetname).

After building it, then I try to use it with a table that has the address data with house number, streetname, street type in separate fields, and also together. However when I try to use the address locator the input field name showing on the left is streets.

Then when I run it, nothing gets placed. I've changed the zone setting, and nothing.

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor
This IS NOT fixing my basic dual range geocoder that works in 10...  Big Bummer.  I guess I better alert my co-workers!

I would suggest contacting Support to have a look at your address locator created at version 10 to see why it is not working in 10.1. Doesthe problem persist if the address locator is recreated at version 10.1 and changing the 'Match with no zones' property?

-Shana B
0 Kudos
FrancoisGoulet
New Contributor III
Encounter those problem as well.

Changed 'Match with no zones' from "no" to "yes". Rebuilded my locator (individuals and composite). Tried to bo a locator package, ...
I still have 100% No Match every time I run it. BUT (there's a but), if I open the Interactive Rematch window and then do a "Rematch Automatically", it's working!!!

Thought I'd let you know...
0 Kudos
IsaacBoates
New Contributor

2. Click Propertiesâ?¦ 

-Shana B

Oh my God thank you, I've been beating my head against the wall for over an hour wondering why nothing would match.
0 Kudos