Geocoder Not Substituting Alias Values

03-16-2017 12:45 PM
EllenLester1
New Contributor III

I'm trying to create a geocoder using the style "US Address - Single House." However, the locator isn't handling aliases the way I expected it to. In this instance, I'm referring to the aliases defined in the locator's xml document, not an alias table.

I started to dig into this after look through this paper:

ESRI Technical Paper About Customizing Locators 

On page 4 of the above paper it's suggested that a geocoder should see "100 Fifth Avenue NY" and "100 5th Ave New York" as identical. "These differ from the given address values but are known aliases, so the locator makes these substitutions without penalty" (pg 4.)

However, I haven't found this to be true. When I search for 100 E Main St in my geocoder, I get a match because that's how it's formatted in our address data. 100 East Main Street does not match, despite the fact that East and Street are listed as aliases for E and St in USAddress.lot.xml:

What has gone wrong? How can I get the geocoder to recognize the aliases instead of docking match points?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

What version of ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro are you using?

What version is the USAddress.lot.xml that you are referencing? It should say at the top of the XML file.

0 Kudos