Geocode address without zip code

Jump to solution
02-23-2017 09:55 AM
HushamHassan
Occasional Contributor

How to create a locator to geocode addresses without zip code and city fields.   I have a polygon feature had a gridid field  can I create the locator based on that gridID field to act like a zipCode.

I Do appreciate any Help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Husham:

Does the polygon data also contain address or only gridid? If it contains address information you could use the US Address - Single House style and use the gridid as the zip code or city when building the locator. If you only have address you can use the information in the following technical article to adjust the settings of the locator to geocode without city, state, or zip. Bug: Dual Ranges address locators created with ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 and higher do not return matc... 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

I would create an X and Y field in the featureclass. Then calculate geometry for those fields.  From there, you can get an address. 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Let me see if I have your question correct:  You have a polygon of grid cells and each one has a unique Grid Cell ID, and you want to match against that Grid Cell ID. Is that correct?

If that is the case,  I think you will want to use the General - Single Field style of locator where your KeyField refers to the field containing the Grid Cell ID.  I just tried that and if your Grid Cell ID is numeric in type, add a new TEXT field called something else like Text_Cell_ID and calc  to equal your numeric cell id with a str() function in either VB or python.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Husham:

Does the polygon data also contain address or only gridid? If it contains address information you could use the US Address - Single House style and use the gridid as the zip code or city when building the locator. If you only have address you can use the information in the following technical article to adjust the settings of the locator to geocode without city, state, or zip. Bug: Dual Ranges address locators created with ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 and higher do not return matc... 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Shana- has this bug been rectified in 10.4 or 10.5?

sbritt-esristaff

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Joe:

The ‘Match with no zones’ parameter in the Geocode Options properties is still set to ‘No’ by default at versions 10.4 and 10.5.

The default design of the locator is to not return match results when you build the locator without zones and do not include zones with the input address because of the performance cost when having to search through the entire index of the reference data to return multiple candidates, which would take longer to do. Of the multiple candidates returned, there may be many that are correct. You wouldn't know which is the correct candidate to be matched if you didn't have a zone. The performance hit would be really significant for larger geographies, but I know a lot of customers create local locators for their city or county and create them without referencing a zone cause it's all the same. But, just about every city has a Main St… how do you know which Main St is correct if the county has multiple cities and they all have a Main St? Or like in Chicago, IL, the street Lake Shore Drive spans 15 differen t zip codes.

HushamHassan
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the useful link.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Husham, did the article resolve the use case you described in your original post? Did you use the gridid as a zip or city when building the address locator?

0 Kudos