Generating the centroid of multiple points

Jump to solution
01-14-2015 02:35 PM
StuartGerber
New Contributor

I am getting to the point where I am over thinking the problem.  I have a street layer and I have generated a geodatabase street network, so I can get the intersection points for the street network.  This not a single line street network, but regular streets layer where collector roads can have two line segments representing the E-W or N-S directions on separate line segments.  My issue is where two sets of collector roads meet at one intersection.  At this location I can have 8 arcs feeing into 4 intersection points to represent one one road intersection.  See attached document.

I need to find the point centroid of the intersect!!!  I was going down the route of finding the clusters of points and buffering, with the intention of creating a point centroid of the buffer polygon.  This has not been working so well because there is not a common attribute to dissolve of buffers on for each polygon.

I then went down the path density based clustering, but cannot determine the proper attributes once again.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Did you try the Mean Center and Median Center (Spatial Statistics) tools? ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Use the case field to identify the points for each intersection.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Just an idea (not tested) based on other posts by folks here on GeoNet with a similar challenge:

Extract out the 4 points for the intersection as its own feature class.

Create a polygon from the "Minimum Bounding Geometry" bounding box.

Find the centroid of that polygon (Feature to Point)

Resource for the Minimum Bounding Geometry part:

Buffers With Points - A Tool for Creating Rectangular Buffers | GISNuts.com

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Did you try the Mean Center and Median Center (Spatial Statistics) tools? ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Use the case field to identify the points for each intersection.