'filling in' spaces between polygons

03-23-2011 04:30 PM
KyleFuller1
New Contributor
Hi all,

I need to fill in these trails(<20m) through my polygons (see attached) with the same orange. but leave the larger clearings and not disrupt the yellow.

The orange and yellow are the same shapefile.

I have used the integrate tool in the past for smaller scale, less complex situations... but in my experience it can cause more problems than its worth on a job this size. (or am i using it wrong?)

Any ideas or tools i should use to solve my problem?

Thanks,
Kyle

*using arc 9.3.1
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
You could turn on snapping, set your edit task to autocomplete polygons, select all of your polygons and then use the trace tool to go around the mass, switching to the regular sketch tool to jump across the gaps with snapping, and then finish.  You may have to go back to delete some pockets that you don't want filled.  Or you can manually use the sketch tool to jump across each end gaps and fill it in, with those that are open at two ends requiring you to plug in one end first.
0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
I've used the Feature to Polygon tool for something similar. Set the XY tolerance to a value wider than the white spaces, but not so large that it collapses the yellow polygons.
0 Kudos