Fields getting merged when importing table to gdb

Jump to solution
07-14-2015 09:57 AM
BenjaminSimpson
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I am trying to import several .csv files into a file geodatabase. Once I have finished importing the tables using the table to geodatabase tool some of the table have all the fields merged together. They are all seperated by an underscore. I have no idea why this is happening on some csv files but not others. I have imported multiple other tables to this gdb without any problems. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Thanks,

Ben.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenjaminSimpson
New Contributor III

I have just discovered what the problem was. One of the field headers was missing which when entered correctly into the csv it now imports normally. Sorry I should have noticed this silly mistake. Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply to my question.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

Are your field names and values separated by commas in your csv?

Are you able to post a sample?

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

They are all seperated by an underscore.

Then it's not a csv.  It's a underscore delimited file.  Perform a search for _ and replace it with , in a text editor and you'll have a csv....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JeffWard

Joe, I think he meant they are separated by underscores after the import and all in one field.  That's what lead me to believe they are just separated by spaces instead of commas.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Jeff- one way the other, I don't think he has a csv....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
BenjaminSimpson
New Contributor III

Yer they are only separated by an underscore after they have been imported. The original tables do seem to be normal csv files, they are definitely comma separated when I view them in WordPad and every field has its own column in excel.

At the moment I am trying to import 4 tables (all csv files), previously when I imported earlier versions of these results, half of the table imported fine, the other half merged all fields into one. When I tried to import the latest results tables yesterday, all four tables had all their fields merged into one.

0 Kudos
BenjaminSimpson
New Contributor III

I have just discovered what the problem was. One of the field headers was missing which when entered correctly into the csv it now imports normally. Sorry I should have noticed this silly mistake. Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply to my question.

0 Kudos
JeffWard

Glad you were able to get it working.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos