Field name packaging error

04-29-2016 11:03 AM
MichelConn
New Contributor II

I am trying to package an ArcGIS map but each time I try I get the error: "The name of the Field is invalid: valid names may contain letters, numbers, or underscores."

The problem is that I have no idea what field that the error is talking about. I have quite a few layers so I'm not sure which it is. Is there any way to find out what field the error is talking about?

Analyzing the map package and the map doesn't show any field name issues.

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Does the map package operation write anything to Geoprocessing Results that you can look at?

0 Kudos
MichelConn
New Contributor II

Thanks for replying, unfortunately I'm not seeing anything in the results window under current session.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

what type of file or files are you using? as for field names, check for spaces and if memory serves fields beginning with numbers

0 Kudos
MichelConn
New Contributor II

Thanks for replying I was just hoping there was an easier way to check which field names were incorrect. I have quite a few files associated with this project. As for file types file types I mainly have shapefiles and .cvs files.

0 Kudos
Kevin_Day
New Contributor

I am getting the same issue when trying to package a number of ArcGIS maps, I have tried removing layers one by one until there are no layers left and the packager still complains about the same thing: "The name of the Field is invalid: valid names may contain letters, numbers, or underscores."  There is no further guidance and I have to package 15-20 maps representing many hours/days of work.  How can I find out what the problem is?  Nothing in the geoprocessing results dialog either.

ArcGIS Advanced 10.8.1 Version: 10.8.1.14362

AngeloMangiardi
New Contributor

Not sure if you ever got this resolved, but I had a similar error and debugged it by isolating the layer by generating a series of layer packs of various groups of layers that were setup in my map's table of contents...  Was able to isolate the bug to a layer that had a Join associated to a csv with field names with brackets in it.

0 Kudos