Select to view content in your preferred language

Field Calculator doesn't work in Arc10 tables

12-29-2011 06:52 AM
NicolaiBencke1
Deactivated User
I can't get 'Field Calculator' to work in any of my tables since going to Arc10. This applies to shapefiles, personal gdbs and file gdbs, in edit sessions and outside edit sessions. I need this function constantly in my work, and filling in records one by one doesn't work for 50,000 records. I've got Service Pack 3 loaded and an ArcInfo license. I know my syntax is correct, I've been using this function for many years. Did something change that I'm missing, or do I need to try to re-load Arc10 completely?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
LetaRogers
Occasional Contributor
I have this as an ongoing problem (using 1-year student ArcInfo license with SP3). I rename the ESRI folder in roaming to ESRIold and rename the ESRI registry folder to ESRIold. New ESRI folders and registry entries are created, and the field calculator works fine for a while. Eventually it is borked again, and I have to reapply the fix. Now I am starting to track what I do more closely so that if it happens again I can perhaps recreate the problem.
0 Kudos
DanaKern
Occasional Contributor
Please be aware that renaming the ESRI folders is a factory reset of ArcGIS, and therefore all third party tools, custom scripts, and/ or custom toolbars currently installed will need to be re-installed as a result. Also, you will need to re-connect all existing folder connections if data was saved in the ESRI folders.
Windows 7:
***Renaming the ESRI Folder in the C: drive***
1. Open Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Folder Options > View Tab
2. Select the radio button to Show hidden files, folders, and drives
3. Right-click on the Windows Start Icon > Windows Explorer
4. Navigate to C:/Users/YourUsername/AppData/Roaming/ESRI
**If the AppData folder is not visible, you may need to perform the following steps to display the general toolbar: Organize menu > Layout > Menu Bar. Then to display the AppData folder, choose the Tools menu > View Tab > Show Hidden files, folders, or drives > Apply > OK
5. Right click on the ESRI folder and select rename. Rename the folder to oldESRI
===============================================
***Renaming the ESRI Folder in the Registry Editor***
1. Navigate to the Start Menu
2. Navigate to Run�?�
3. Type in "regedit" (to get the registry editor)
4. Click OK
5. Expand on the "hkey current user" folder in the folder tree
6. Expand on the "software" folder
7. Right click on the "ESRI" folder and rename the folder "ESRIold" Tab
===============================================
Below you will find instructions on restting the normal templates for ArcCatalog, ArcMap, and ArcToolbox. 

For ArcCatalog:
1. Close ArcCatalog & ArcMap
2. Navigate to root C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data*\ESRI\ArcCatalog *(if hidden go to tools folder options view)
3. Open the Templates folder
4. There will be a "Normal.gxt" file. Please right click on that file, and rename it to something besides Normal. Then re-start ArcCatalog.

For ArcMap:
2. Navigate to root C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data*\ESRI\ArcMap *(if hidden go to Tools folder options view)
3. Open the Templates folder
4. There will be a "Normal.mxt" file. Please right click on that file, and rename it to something besides Normal. Then re-start ArcMap.

For ArcToolbox
2. Navigate to root C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data*\ESRI\ArcToolbox *(if hidden go to Tools folder options view)
3. There will be an "ArcToolbox.dat" file. Please right click on that file, and rename it to something besides ArcToolbox. Then re-start ArcMap Tab

Dana Kern
ESRI Support Service - Redlands, CA
0 Kudos
MaryTrombley
Emerging Contributor
I have done all the recommended changes to the Registry and renamed the ESRI folder in my user folder.  It hasn't helped the Field Calculator work.  I am running XP SP3.  I never had a problem with 9.3 or previous versions of ArcMap. Any other suggestions?
Thanks ~ MT
0 Kudos
AshleyMott
Occasional Contributor
I had this issue in sp3. I was going to sp4, so I just decided to do a complete uninstall of all ArcGIS software and then reinstall and apply all sp4s. The field calculator behavior persists. I am running Windows 7.
0 Kudos
PeterDames
New Contributor

I know this is an old thread, but I'm using an older computer (ancient Dell Inspiron running Windows 7)and just ran into this problem.  I couldn't get the "Field" to enter the calculation window when i selected it.  Turned out all I had to do was double click it, not just single.  This worked whether i was in editing mode or not....

Hope this helps somebody.

0 Kudos
KeithAddison1
Frequent Contributor

I'm having the same problem (10.3.1) with using field calculator to 'copy' multiple joined string fields into another.  Removing and recreating the join worked for one field, killing all Arc processes and reopening ArcMap also fixed it for a few fields.

0 Kudos