Field Aliases and Template from shapefile

10-13-2016 08:06 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I have a couple of question that I want to discuss about.

1. I'd like to clean up the field aliases especially when I do made the joined tables. These sometimes can cause problems when you need to do many joins later on.  I googled it but could not find in depth information..

2. I have an existed shapefile that needed to be clean up and has all the field I need. Is there a way that can I copy the template from that existed shapefile. This is what I am planning to do is copy and paste the newly polygons from the existed shapefile because that shapefile needs a new information that I will be doing some table joined from an excel file. What is the best way to do that ?  I recalled there was one that can be done in Geodatabase ? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

For 2, if by template you mean schema, there is a way to do this in a geodatabase.  See here : Exporting a geodatabase schema to an XML workspace document—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop.

Then, you can import the XML document to a database and load data into it. 

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

That work however it is best to use Import XML Workspace Document and change it to Schema  Only as an export Options and this is what I wanted !

0 Kudos