Select to view content in your preferred language

Feature Dataset do not delete (SDE)

05-10-2011 05:03 AM
DavidAlvarez
Emerging Contributor
I have three feature datasets in an SDE (version 10) that i can not delete. They were tie to an old database that do not exist any more. I am using Multiple DB on one SQL instance. 

Any suggestion on how I can delete those feature datasets?

Thank you,

David
0 Kudos
14 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Could you explain how these feature datasets were tied to other geodatabases?  Did they participate in a replication?  What is the error you receive when you try to delete the feature datasets?
0 Kudos
DavidAlvarez
Emerging Contributor
Hi Jake,

I inherit an SDE.  Right now I am in the process of cleaning, standardizing the some feature classes and reconciling the different version.
The problem that i have is the following:  If I look the data through ArcCatalog I see three feature datasets (They are empty). But if I look the data through the SQL management Studio, the database used to store those feature does not exist anymore.

We are using a one SQL instance to Multi-DB.

Thank you,

David
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
In SQL Server Management Studio, open the 'sde.GDB_ITEMS' table.  Under the 'Name' column see if you see the Feature Datasets listed there.  It will be in the format "<database name>.<owner name>.<Feature Dataset name>".  If they exist here, they will exist when viewing the database in ArcCatalog.
0 Kudos
DavidAlvarez
Emerging Contributor
Hi Jake, 

I see them on the table . How i can delete them completely?

Thank you,

David
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Log onto the geodatabase as the feature dataset owner. Then right-click on the feature dataset > Delete.
0 Kudos
DavidAlvarez
Emerging Contributor
Jake,

If i use ArcCatalog. The delete is faded
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
This is most likely because you are not connected to the database as the feature dataset owner.  Look at the feature dataset name.  It will be in the following format <database name>.<owner>.<feature class name>.  Ex:

Planning.Vector.Parcels

In the above example, Vector is the owner.  Next, I would check to make sure I'm connected to the database as Vector by right-clicking on the database > Connection Properties.  If 'Vector' is not listed under 'username' I would change this and specify 'vector' for the username and it's corresponding password.
0 Kudos
DavidAlvarez
Emerging Contributor
I am Log-in as the adminitrator and still can not delete them.

Example.

TroutCreek.DBO.Model
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Try creating a new feature class called test.  Does it appear as:

TroutCreek.DBO.Test
0 Kudos