Failure to Access the DBMS Server

11-01-2012 05:41 AM
AndrewPagano
New Contributor
Good day,

So I am having a bit of a problem with my ArcSDE server - well two really; I am unable to udate the license file on it (problem number 2) because I appear to be unable to connect the the database (main problem!). So when I tried to upgrade the license I got the "may have failed" alert and viewed why, it stated "Error: Failure to access the DBMS server (-409). Error upgrading authorization key."

I am a noob to the server side of GIS so any help would be appreciated whist I am trouble shooting this issue.

Here is a run down of my set up:

Running on a Virtual Server
Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
ArcSDE 10
MS SQL 2008

[Everything has been working fine for months, up until a few days ago.]

Notes:

- The ArcSde Service is set to automatic but is not starting when I try to manually start it - throwing the following alert: "The ArcSde 
  Service(blah) service on GISServer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services
  or programs."
- The giomgr log file shows a normal start up sequence but then drops out when it attempts to "validate license". This is to be expected
  as I need to renew the license but cannot.
- SQL Server service has started.

Still collecting further data on issue, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
0 Kudos
4 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The application server doesn't have to be running to update the license. In fact,
the 'sdesetup' command does all its work directly in the database, without making
an ArcSDE connection.

Just use 'sdesetup -o update_key' or the post-install GUI (or just UPDATE the
config table with SQL) to post the new license key, and the giomgr will be able
to start.

If you have a bad key you'll need to work with Tech Support and/or Customer
Service.

- V

0 Kudos
SamLarsen
New Contributor III
Good day,

So I am having a bit of a problem with my ArcSDE server - well two really; I am unable to udate the license file on it (problem number 2) because I appear to be unable to connect the the database (main problem!). So when I tried to upgrade the license I got the "may have failed" alert and viewed why, it stated "Error: Failure to access the DBMS server (-409). Error upgrading authorization key."

I am a noob to the server side of GIS so any help would be appreciated whist I am trouble shooting this issue.

Here is a run down of my set up:

Running on a Virtual Server
Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
ArcSDE 10
MS SQL 2008

[Everything has been working fine for months, up until a few days ago.]

Notes:

- The ArcSde Service is set to automatic but is not starting when I try to manually start it - throwing the following alert: "The ArcSde 
  Service(blah) service on GISServer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services
  or programs."
- The giomgr log file shows a normal start up sequence but then drops out when it attempts to "validate license". This is to be expected
  as I need to renew the license but cannot.
- SQL Server service has started.

Still collecting further data on issue, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Andrew, i have exactly the same problem, did you ever fix this?
The notes from Vangelo did not help as this problem is caused by that workflow.
0 Kudos
GabrielYarlequé
Occasional Contributor

try disabling the firewall in the machine where you have the database. Also install the same version or an updated version of the SQL server native client. This one has to be compatible with your SQL Server.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I gave three different workflows, but all require a functional link to the database
(-s / -D for SQL-Server, ORACLE_SID/LOCAL/TWO_TASK for Oracle,...).

- V
0 Kudos