Failure to access DBMS server when trying to connect users to new ArcGIS 10.2.2 SDE geodatabase

Jump to solution
08-28-2014 09:20 AM
ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

I receive the following error when trying to connect users to our new SQL SDE Geodatabase in ArcGIS 10.2.2.  Unable to connect to database server to retrieve database list, please verify your server name, user name, and password info and try again.  Failure to access DBMS server.  The SQL ports are open between the field office servers and the SQL server.  Any assistance with this issue will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Are you able to connect using SQL Server management Studio? If that is not working, ArcGIS won't be able to connect as well.

I'll sugegst installing just the "SQL Server Management Studio" on the field office server and try connecting to the database instance. See if that works.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chad,

Make sure you have the SQL Server Native Client installed on the client machine.  Also, if you restored the database to a new server, be sure you re-synched the database logins.

ChadKopplin

Thank you Jake, we do have the most recent SQL Native Client installed and the database was re-synched after the upgrade.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Are you able to connect using SQL Server management Studio? If that is not working, ArcGIS won't be able to connect as well.

I'll sugegst installing just the "SQL Server Management Studio" on the field office server and try connecting to the database instance. See if that works.

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin

Thank you for the idea I will try it today and get back to you.

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin

When I tried to have one of the users in a field office try to connect to the SQL database instance this is the error that he received.

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL server.  The server was not found or was not accessible.  Verify that that the instance name is correct and that SQL server is configured to allow remote connections (I verified both of these).  (Provider:SQL Network Interfaces, error:26 -  Error Locating Server/Instance Specified).

The following blog post for enabling remote connections to SQL server pointed me to some other potential issues related directly to the error 26.

How to enable remote connections in SQL Server 2008? - <dw:daniel_walzenbach runat="server" /> - Sit...

This blog had the following link provided for the error 26:

SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified - SQL Protocols - Site ...

So, from these 2 blogs I have created rules for the SQL server port 1433, SQL browser, and UDP port 1434.  Once these rules were created exceptions were automatically set for these rules.  The blogs stated that the UDP port 1434 was needed for the SQL browser. 

I am testing this, but currently we still may fall into the exception that would still cause a failure, currently we are using a clustered SQL server (we are moving away from this).  So, this blog provides a link to a blog that helps with the clustered machines.

This is what I have been able to find out so far.

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin

Asrujit,

Sorry this has been so long in coming, but I am finally able to start looking into this issue again.  By installing the SQL Management Studio from the SQL Express install on the computers in Cheyenne that have previously not been able to connect, I am able to connect to the new SDE server.  My question is, "Is there a connection between SQL Management Studio and SDE that would require Management Studio to be installed on all client machines?'  I have always known the SQL Native Client, but not the Management Studio.  I have tried this on 4 machines that were previously unable to connect and it has worked on all 4 machines.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Good to know that it worked! But installing SQL Server Management Studio(SSMS) is not related to SDE in any way. My suggestion of installing SSMS was just to test whether the SQL Server interface (SSMS) was able to connect to that instance or not. If that didn't work, then its highly unlikely that ArcCatalog would be able to connect.

I guess, there must have been something else installed along with the SSMS which helped in getting this to work.

And yes, SQL Server Native Client is all you need on the client machines to get the connections working.

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin

I am in one of the field offices this week, I am able to connect to the new SDE servers with my computer, but not with one of the field office users yet.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Are you able to connect from Management Studio?

The field users are using Windows Authentication or database Authentication to connect?

0 Kudos