failed to connect to database

Jump to solution
06-11-2014 08:53 PM
SyedMasood_Khadri
New Contributor III
hi

I have installed Oracle client 64 bit software on windows 2008 R2 server.
The Oracle database server 11g R2 is on Redhat Linux 5.
The oracle client is able to connect with server by using SQLPLUS.
But it is failed to connect to database from ArcGIS desktop 10.1
Does it require any additional config ??
Please help me.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor
Make sure the 64-bit client is first in the PATH variable, then the 32-bit client. This should allow you to connect to your Oracle database form both ArcCatalog and ArcGIS Server.

Registering an Oracle database with server: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#/Registering_an_Oracle_database_with_the_se...

-George
--- George T.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
EmadAl-Mousa
Occasional Contributor III
try installing oracle 11g client 32 bit. (after removing the old oracle 11g 64bit client)

Regards,
0 Kudos
SyedMasood_Khadri
New Contributor III
Hi

Oracle client 32-bit was there before and able to connect with database server without any problem.
But we also have ArcGIS server and our database requires registration and hence 64-bit is required.
0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor
Make sure the 64-bit client is first in the PATH variable, then the 32-bit client. This should allow you to connect to your Oracle database form both ArcCatalog and ArcGIS Server.

Registering an Oracle database with server: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#/Registering_an_Oracle_database_with_the_se...

-George
--- George T.
0 Kudos
SyedMasood_Khadri
New Contributor III
hi

i have removed 32-bit client before installing 64-bit. Is this ok ? Whether it requires both clients ?

Do i need to remove path of 32-bit client in env variable or shall i maintain the order as mentioned by you ?
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
You need both the 32-bit and 64-bit client installed on that machine.

Once they are both installed, just make sure the 64-bit client is first in the PATH variable in the Environment Variable and then try connecting.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
If you have a 64-bit Oracle install, a 64-bit Server install and a 32-bit Desktop install
on the same host, you may need to add both 32-bit and 64-bit Instant Client software
to get the PATH to have the right clients in the right order. 

Sometimes it helps to split up the software stack, and place Desktop on a different host,
without the database or Server components to muddle the 32-bit/64-bit evaluation order.

- V
0 Kudos
SyedMasood_Khadri
New Contributor III
Thanks to all, registered arcgis server with oracle
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
It would help others who find this thread if you mention what it
actually took to fix the problem. Think of it as payment for the
assistance.

- V