Failed to Connect to Database Server Error, Add Database Server help

Jump to solution
07-20-2012 06:51 AM
ClintonCooper1
New Contributor III
Hello,

I am at wits end.  I installed SQL Express Server (Workgroup) on our server (RTA-GIS).  However on my local computer through ArcCatalog Add Database Server , I cannot connect to SQL Server and I get the error:  Register Database Server: Cannot connect to the database server, Failed to connect to the database server. Operation is not allowed when the object is open.

I have followed the installation instructions of SQL Server Express to a 'T'.  I have installed and run SQL Server Management Studio, and have made sure I can connect remotely, all TCP Ports and Pipes are enabled, All services are started (except SQL Server Agent - I cannot get that one to start).  Pretty much I have tried every trick and tried every tip and nothing has worked.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenLin
by
New Contributor III
Hi Clinton,

Have you tried using the port number for the SQL Server Express instance within ArcCatalog Database Server connection?

- goto SQL Server Configuration Manager, check TCP/IP dynamic port number that you have used for your current SQL Server Express instance, for example, in IPALL if you see the TCP Dynamic Ports as 8774.
- then from ArcCatalog, add Database Server as following:
   sqlserver_machine_name,8774

Thanks,
Ben

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BenLin
by
New Contributor III
Hi Clinton,

Have you tried using the port number for the SQL Server Express instance within ArcCatalog Database Server connection?

- goto SQL Server Configuration Manager, check TCP/IP dynamic port number that you have used for your current SQL Server Express instance, for example, in IPALL if you see the TCP Dynamic Ports as 8774.
- then from ArcCatalog, add Database Server as following:
   sqlserver_machine_name,8774

Thanks,
Ben
MarkNorbury
Esri Contributor
Ben,
Thanks for the response.  That's been helpful to me, as I was getting the same issue.
Mark
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I ran into a similar issue on my end and wanted to add some information in the event that someone has my experience. In my case, I had ArcMap opened when I installed SQL Express workgroup as part of the 'Database Server Workgroup' installation (this was for ArcGIS 10.4.1; however, I suspect that this feedback applies to probably most versions).  After the installation, I tried to connect ArcMap to SQL Express using the database server, but received the same error message being reported in this thread.

I navigated to the TCP Dynamic Port and there was no special port number assigned (the default 1433 was being used as reported by documentation I found online for figuring out how to find the TCP information).

After a bit of time, I tried closing ArcMap and re-opening it (thinking that ArcMap was not seeing the new service on my Windows machine).  After I did this and tried to connect to my SQL Express instance, it worked without issue.

I wanted to add this as another item in case someone falls into this small trap and spends a lot of time troubleshooting (perhaps Esri can write a check on the installation script to make sure no ArcGIS for Desktop software is up and running during the installation?).

0 Kudos