failed to connect mdb database

05-14-2012 08:11 PM
hjs
by
New Contributor
when loading mdb database in arcMap. the dialog hints "failed to connect database,an underlying database error occurred".anyone can helpe me .
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TeuTonic
New Contributor
Encountered similar (same?) problem connecting to personal geodatabases (.mdb). Layers where showing broken links and attempting to re set the data source resulted in connection error.

One workaround that worked for me is to open the geodatabase in Access prior to launching ArcGIS Desktop.

I am running: Windows 7 Enterprise SP 1, ArcGIS Desktop Ver 10.0 SP 3, Access 2010 (geodatabase in Access 2000 format)
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
I hope the forum post by Mike Goeckel will help you to fix this:

Here is the solution that I came up with... First close all of your esri windows to make sure the file in question is not in use. Then delete the lock file in Windows Explorer. Change the name of the original file (put an "a" after it or something similar), this is because if you have recently worked with the file then ArcCatalog will try to go directly to the corrupt geodatabase, but if it has a changed name then the error won't come up. Anyway I am getting ahead of myself. With all the ESRI windows still closed. open the copied version in MS Access. It will tell you that the file you are trying to open is either not a database or it has become corrupt and it will ask if you want to fix it. Say yes. Then open that file up in ArcCatalog and things should work.