Failed to compress database, why?

05-09-2013 11:47 AM
IB1
by
Occasional Contributor
When I try to compress our versioned SDE geodatabase I get the following error:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24177[/ATTACH]

We are running ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 with ArcGIS Server 10.1 and SQL Server 2012.

Why would I be getting this error?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Did you happen to register the SDE_COMPRESS_LOG file with the geodatabase?  Try the following:

1.  Rename the SDE_COMPRESS_LOG file using the Catalog window to SDE_COMPRESS_LOG_1
2.  Execute the compress again

This should recreate a new SDE_COMPRESS_LOG file.
0 Kudos
IB1
by
Occasional Contributor
Did you happen to register the SDE_COMPRESS_LOG file with the geodatabase?  Try the following:

1.  Rename the SDE_COMPRESS_LOG file using the Catalog window to SDE_COMPRESS_LOG_1
2.  Execute the compress again

This should recreate a new SDE_COMPRESS_LOG file.

You nailed it.

So, it's alright to just delete the log file after I run the compress each time?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
I would recommend deleting the log file, as it keeps track of each database compress.  But, if you were to delete it, it would be recreated after your next compress.
0 Kudos
IB1
by
Occasional Contributor
I would recommend deleting the log file, as it keeps track of each database compress.  But, if you were to delete it, it would be recreated after your next compress.

Okay, I figured that's what'd you'd say.

Last question ...for now... is there any documentation for what the fields in the log mean?

I've done some searching but can't seem to find anything.

Also, is there any documentation which explains some of the extra tables that I can see within SQL Server?

Like the SDE_versions table, etc.
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Take a look at the following link.  It has a description of each system table for the geodatabase.
0 Kudos
IB1
by
Occasional Contributor
Take a look at the following link.  It has a description of each system table for the geodatabase.

Perfect, thanks.
0 Kudos
RickMomsen
New Contributor II
This worked perfect for me too, but it took a lot of searching to find this thread.
adding key words for future victims...
Failed to compress the database
Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'compress_id', table SDE_COMPRESS_LOG
column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails
0 Kudos