External three tier SDE connections at 10.2

06-30-2014 12:31 PM
MattMcLees
New Contributor III
How can external clients connect to our production SDE database using ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.2?

SQL Server 2008 R2
ArcSDE 9.3.1
Desktop 10.2.2

The external client used to have version 10.0, but has recently upgraded to 10.2. Before the upgrade, the user would connect via an external IP that was NAT'd to our SDE server that was running an SDE service open on port 5151 (screenshot 1). This is what I understand as a basic three tier connection.

After the desktop upgrade, I'm not sure how to specify the IP address as the connection dialog is looking for SERVER\INSTANCE name. Esri's recommended approach is to use the Create ArcSDE Connection File tool. This tool will create a Application Server connection that mimics the properties of a 10.0 connection. However, the user cannot run the Create  tool as they only have a basic license. When I create a connection file for them with the tool, it fails when I specify IP as the server name. When I use the server name, the tool executes, but the user gets an "Operation failed" (screen shot #2) error when file is copied to their AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.2\ArcCatalog folder. I suspect this is because the user is not part of our internal network and the server name will not resolve. If I alter the server name to the IP address in the connection properties on the created file I get error "Failure to access DBMS server" (screenshot #3). Interestingly, if I click Yes on that error, and double click on the connection in database connections, I get access to SDE. However, this persists for only that ArcMap session. When I open a fresh session, the connection defaults to a SQL connection window with IP as the instance name. It then fails to connect.

I have verified that the port and IP are both running correctly. Why does the 10.0 connection work fine, and the other does not? Is connecting via an external IP no longer supported? Do we need to set up IPV6 as specified here?

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//00290000003q000000

Can ArcGIS Server be used? Our SDE has about 400 FC's...
0 Kudos
3 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
What role does ArcSDE 9.3.1 have in this configuration, or is that an error?

All your screenshots show Direct Connect connections ("sde:sqlserver" vice "5151").

Wouldn't adding the hostname of the database server to the HOSTS file of
clients that need it be the solution here?

- V
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mclee021

What role does ArcSDE 9.3.1 have in this configuration, or is that an error?

Not an error. Unfortunately, that is the release of our SDE. We are in the midst of an entire upgrade to 10.2, and SDE hasn't been upgraded yet. I just need them to be able to connect to current SDE (9.3.1) until I can get a new one up and running on a different server. We are not just upgrading the SDE to the latest version for various reasons.

All your screenshots show Direct Connect connections ("sde:sqlserver" vice "5151").

Correct, but that is what works. If I put the IP in and service 5151, it doesn't connect. It does ,however, connect if i use server name (GISSERV) and port 5151 as the service. This doesn't work for external user since server name is I guess only recognized when connecting as part of our network.

Wouldn't adding the hostname of the database server to the HOSTS file of
clients that need it be the solution here?

Probably. I just don't know how to do it. Is it something I could walk the user through on their end?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
You're at the ragged edge of support here -- 9.3.1 was Retired six months ago,
but it's listed in the supported client list for 10.2.

Your description indicated you had an application server connection, but your
screenshots were all of something else.

Adding an entry to the hosts table is a fairly basic task.  You could even script
the process (though you'd need to make sure it was run as Administrator).
Make sure you include the IP to the new server at the same time.  You may
still have networking issues if the right holes aren't in the right places. You
may need to test network connectivity via command-line tools on the remote
clients.

- V
0 Kudos