Extending and shortening one end of a line?

06-13-2011 08:44 AM
__6
by
New Contributor
I have a line that visually connects to a point. The other end is supposed to connect to the other point but it does not (I'm editing a project that was previously worked on by someone else). Is there some way to select the end of the line and shorten/lengthen/move it? I want to be able to shorten, extend and move it as if I were creating a new line feature that I have already established one end of. You know how the the other end has the line following behind it the cursor and shortens, extends and moves while staying connected to the already made other end of the line? I want to be able to edit an existing line in such a manner. If you need further clarification I understand; I feel like I might be clear enough.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
You can find extend and trim tools on the Advanced Editing Toolbar.
0 Kudos
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
I think this is what you want if you aren't used to editing.  If it's complex then I misunderstood the problem.  Turn on snapping for vertices to the point layer.  Select line, choose modify feature for your task, hover the mouse over the vertice until it changes with a rectangular shape (not the crosshair which would move the whole selection), click and move the vertice to the point and it should snap in place.  If you are using 10 the process may be slightly different depending on your snapping and feature template settings.  On my test install of 10 I'm using the classic versions of both.
0 Kudos
__6
by
New Contributor
Attachements are allowed right? Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about. The thick green lines are supposed to be right over the double circles that are close to them.
0 Kudos
__6
by
New Contributor
And now, I tried doing as you suggested (using "modify feature") and the lines now look like they do in the screenshot in the attachment. Why do they show up like that? it makes it look like they've been duplicated instead of simply moved.
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I've seen that before, do you know the source of the original shapefile?  More than likely there were two overlapping features that were identical, it seems to happen when a shapefile is converted from CAD.  I would select the wrong feature and delete it, after checking attributes and so forth.  You may discover that there are a lot of duplicates throughout though.  In version 10 you can just set your snapping up double click the feature (in editing mode of course) and move the vertex until it snaps with your double circle feature.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
__6
by
New Contributor
...it seems to happen when a shapefile is converted from CAD.  I would select the wrong feature and delete it, after checking attributes and so forth.  You may discover that there are a lot of duplicates throughout though.

As a matter of fact, it was converted from CAD! At least now I know why it happens like that (thanks!). As you can see in this new attachment, the attributes are mostly the same except for the source field at the far right. Is there any reason that could be an issue?

In version 10 you can just set your snapping up double click the feature (in editing mode of course) and move the vertex until it snaps with your double circle feature.
Thankfully, we're supposed to be getting 10.0 sometime this summer.
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
afogarty;109556 wrote:
As a matter of fact, it was converted from CAD! At least now I know why it happens like that (thanks!). As you can see in this new attachment, the attributes are mostly the same except for the source field at the far right. Is there any reason that could be an issue?

Who knows why it did that.  I would attempt to contact the source of the data.  Personally, I'd strip out anything CAD related and only keep the pertinent attribute information.  The CAD world is a WHOLE lot different than GIS, I don't care what people say: CAD is for engineering, design, survey and GIS is for mapping.  Trying to put them together is like putting a square peg in a round hole. 

Ideally recreating the lines from scratch would be best but even in my relatively small jurisdiction, it would be a nightmare ensuring the attributes were correct in the new file.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos