Exporting to google earth kmz. file

01-16-2014 07:24 AM
matttaylor1
New Contributor
I'm fairly new to GIS and I am trying to export map data (crude oil pipelines) to google earth...I have tried the export using the toolbox export to kml, but it seems to only work on certain layers. Can I also export a layer as a shapefile?

thanks in advance
0 Kudos
10 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Matt,

in your MXD just right-click your layer in the Table of content, Data -> export Data. This will save it as a shapefile.

Tim
0 Kudos
matttaylor1
New Contributor
Matt,

in your MXD just right-click your layer in the Table of content, Data -> export Data. This will save it as a shapefile.

Tim

awesome,

I will give it a try...thanks!
0 Kudos
matttaylor1
New Contributor
Matt,

Tim

No dice...I get a error message that reads "cannot export data"
0 Kudos
by
New Contributor III
In what format is the data that you are trying to export (The data that gives the error message)?
0 Kudos
matttaylor1
New Contributor
In what format is the data that you are trying to export (The data that gives the error message)?

mxd. format
0 Kudos
by
New Contributor III
Okay so it looks like you're trying to export the ArcMap Document file (.mxd). This is the workspace you are working on and not the files you are trying to export. Open the .mxd file and look in the Table of Contents at the left hand side of the screen (If it's not there click the Window drop down menu at the top of the screen then select Table of Contents).

What you want to do is right click on the layers in the Table of Contents then go to Data and then Export Data.

It will also help if you know your files are vector or raster data.
0 Kudos
matttaylor1
New Contributor
Okay so it looks like you're trying to export the ArcMap Document file (.mxd). This is the workspace you are working on and not the files you are trying to export. Open the .mxd file and look in the Table of Contents at the left hand side of the screen (If it's not there click the Window drop down menu at the top of the screen then select Table of Contents).

What you want to do is right click on the layers in the Table of Contents then go to Data and then Export Data.

Thanks, and as I mentioned before Im new to arcGIS so its a little tricky for me...what is the difference between vector and raster data?
0 Kudos
matttaylor1
New Contributor

Also, Is it possible to export a layer as a kmz. file which seems to be much easier to work with in google pro rather than a shape file?
0 Kudos
by
New Contributor III
Thanks, and as I mentioned before Im new to arcGIS so its a little tricky for me...what is the difference between vector and raster data?

In that case I'd suggest doing one of the free introduction to gis courses from the ESRI website. This is one of the fundamentals of gis and if you don't know the answer to this I don't think you will be able to get very far on your own without being very confused! You really need to gain a knowledge of the fundamentals of GIS. It's not really something you can keep clicking buttons and hope the right thing eventually happens
0 Kudos