Export Data - output name is not valid

01-14-2014 03:46 PM
JesseMaruschak
New Contributor II
No matter what I try to do with the file name.  Even taking it down to putting the output file in a C:/temp folder, I continue to get the same error when trying to export data "output name is not valid."

Help.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Can you provide information on what you are doing that prompts this error and a screen grab if possible?
0 Kudos
JesseMaruschak
New Contributor II
Any time I try to export data, I get it.

When I have selected certain streams out of a statewide stream dataset, and want to create a separate shapefile of just the selected streams, i get the error.

When I take the pointfile dataset of wells in a state, which  I generated from an excel spreadsheet, and try to export it to a shapefile so that I can then select the wells within 500ft of the streams I get the error.

When I try to export selected polygons from a parcels dataset, I get the error.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
is the destination location writeable? what is an example of an input and output filename?
0 Kudos
JesseMaruschak
New Contributor II
Never mind.  I pulled a complete brain fart, and didn't realize that when the window to select the folder and file name was up, there was a drop down box at the bottom where you could select a "Save as type" of either "Sapefile" or "File and Personal Geodatabase feature classes". 

When I changed the "Save as type" to "Shapefile" it was amazing......it actually created the shapefile for me.  DOH!

Thank you for your time.
RudolphineNyoni
New Contributor

I was having the same problem. Thanks a lot, I have successfully exported and saved the data. 

0 Kudos
Ubayeid
New Contributor

I got the same problem. Then I followed @JesseMaruschak's advice, now it is ok.

0 Kudos