Select to view content in your preferred language

Error when trying to copy and paste feature dataset

07-21-2011 08:52 PM
BrittanyDizdar
New Contributor
I am trying to copy and paste a feature dataset and I recieve an error message "failed to paste feature.  Table already exists.  I am on 9.3.  It appears to be related to some relationships but I am not sure why.  When I got to paste to another GDB it displays a list of features and some of those features are duplicated in the list.  Does anyone have any ideas?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
sabahawni
New Contributor
Hi bh17090
the name of Feature Dataset and Feature Class must be Unique of All GDB ,
Try to Change name of Feature Dataset and Feature Class.
0 Kudos
JonathanNorred
New Contributor
Copying a DS from one DB into another will attempt to bring along any related Tables with it. If the Table already exists in the DB you will see this error, and not be able to copy the DS. This is particularly frustrating when you have more than one DS or FC that participate in a relationship with the same table. The first one you copy will bring along the Related Table. The next will fail because the Table already exists. Copying in the Table will also try and bring along the DS and or FCs related to it, which is why you are seeing duplicated FCs in the DB.
The only way around it I have found is to pay close attention to your order of operations and\or remove the relationships and rebuild them after the copy. TabletotableConversion will get you the Tables without the related FCs and or DS but the Relationship will be lost. Problem also exists with Project Operations which is where I ran into it. After much talk with ESRI on the matter it was decided this is a feature not a bug, so my workaround for the projection of a large DB was either remove Relationships and rebuild them afterword, or just dump them alltogether.
0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor
Brittany, this could be due to a number of issues, the best way for us to look at the issue is for you to log a tech support incident.  Ask the Analyst to contact me when you have the incident logged.

thanks,
0 Kudos