Error when copying data from SDE 9.3 to 10.2.1

02-28-2014 08:13 AM
VikramS
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

I am getting below error when trying to copy sde data from 9.3.1 to  sde 10.2.1 .

Underlying DBMS error [HY104:[Microsoft][Sql Server Native Client 11.0] Invalid precision value][Feature Class Name]

Can anyone tell me how can i fix this ?

Thanks
0 Kudos
10 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Is your data stored as low precision?  You can check this by looking at its properties from ArcCatalog.  I would think that copying and pasting the data would automatically create the data at high precision in the 10.2.1 database, though.  What happens if you create an empty feature class in the 10.2.1 database with the same exact field structure as what's stored in 9.3.1 and then use the Simple Data Loader to import the records?
0 Kudos
VikramS
Occasional Contributor
Thanks William for replying quickly 🙂

Source : 9.3.1 SDE
Target  : 10.2.1 SDE

Source Storage type is High Precision using ESRI Binary Spatial Type

Target Storage type is High Precision using ESRI Geometry spatial Type (SRID 0)

The weird thing is I am able to copy another feature class from source to target withoout any problem .
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
So it's just that one feature class causing issues; might be something with one or some of the records in that feature class.  Can you try loading the data using the method I described above for that one feature class?  In ArcCatalog, right click the 10.2.1 feature class and click Load, then pick your source 9.3.1 fature class and map the fields.  Usually, if there are issues with specific records, the Simple Data Loader will list the OBJECTIDs so you know what needs to get fixed.
0 Kudos
VikramS
Occasional Contributor
Hello William,

I did try loading using the Simple Data Loader . Still I am getting same error message
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
One more thing, please provide the exact version of SQL Server you are using (Express 2008R2, Enterprise 2012, etc.).  Hopefully you are not using SQL Server 2005.  ArcGIS 10.2.1 supports versions of SQL Server 2008 and 2012 but does not support SQL Server 2005.
0 Kudos
VikramS
Occasional Contributor
William,

Target (10.2.1) is using SQL Server 2012 . Source (SDE 9.3) is using SQL Server 2005 .

Is that a problem then ? But it is able to copy another feature class from source to target
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
It might be a data type issue with that particular feature class whereby SQL Server 2012 doesn't like something from SQL Server 2005.  For the problematic feature class, perform an SDELAYER -O DESCRIBE_LONG in 9.3.1 SDE command line:

sdelayer -o {describe | describe_long} [{-O <owner | -l <table,column>}]
         [-i <service>] [-s <server_name>] [-D <database>]
          -u <DB_User_name> [-p <DB_User_password>] [-q]

Maybe do another describe_long on a feature class that you know copies fine to see what the difference could be. 

Also, what does SQL Server 2005 say its backend data types are for the various columns in the problematic table?
0 Kudos
VikramS
Occasional Contributor
William,

This is gonna sound weird .

Initially I was using Arcmap 10.2.1 (System A) but now I tried in another system with Arcmap 10.1 . It worked . I think it is because of the different sql server native client.
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
This isn't surprising, actually.  Glad you got things working.  After the initial copy, you should be able to manage all of your data moving forward with the 10.2.1 client and your SQL Server native client on 'System A'.
0 Kudos