Error opening CPG (.cpg) in ArcGIS 10

03-31-2016 09:15 AM
HernandezAstorga
New Contributor

Hi everyone!!

I have a little big problem , I have  a file "File CPG (.cpg)",I try to open this in my ARCGIS10 but not let me "Invalid raster dataset. Failed to create raster layer". Any suggestions for open this file? My email is fhas33@gmail.com

Thank you 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I believe that is a component of a shapefile, so I'm surprised at the error you are receiving.  By any chance do you have any other files with the same name as the .cpg one, but with different extensions (i.e. .shp, .shx,.dbf, etc)?

.cpg—An optional file that can be used to specify the code page for identifying the character set to be used.

ArcGIS Desktop Help 9.3 - Shapefile file extensions

Dan Patterson

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
HernandezAstorga
New Contributor

Hi!! Thanks you for your answer

I have two files:

Grid_CR_suppressed_WB.cpg

Grid_CR_suppressed_WB.shp

I can see the shapefile normally...but this no has many information (only have an column "ID" with values of 2x2kmX365Y280). And the file .cpg,  can't  open the file ...

I think that these file are related and that the .cpg will give me more information or that this file is a satellite image.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

yes, I have seen this thread before in a similar incarnation, I have never gotten an answer as to the source etc.  Figuring out whether it is a codepage file is as simple as opening it in notepad or notepad++ If it is a oneliner with UTF in it then it is a codepage file

HernandezAstorga
New Contributor

Hi Dan

If, I open the shapefile with Notepad this only display information of ID (column) with 3326 rows (this column only have information with a little description 1x1kmX760Y240 or 2x2kmX760Y241.. etc, etc). This description is poligonos of areas that should bring socio-economic information.

And the .cpg file in Notepad only indicates "UTF-8"

Thank you

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the *.cpg file is a codepage file... you don't open it... arcmap uses it for language related stuff

the *.shp file is the geometry portion of a shapefile ... you don't open it either...

a shapefile needs ... as a minimum ... a *.dbf, *.shp, *.shx as a minimum, where the * is the filename.  A shapefile may contain many other files like a *.prj (projection file), *.sbx, *.sbn etc etc etc.

Shapefiles are added to ArcMap using the Add data button.

If you are missing one of the three necessary files... you will have some free time on your hands, since there is nothing you can do about it, all 3 are needed as a minimum.

HernandezAstorga
New Contributor

I have the files: dbf, prj, resource AUTOCAD and shx... all these all these the charge once in the GIS.. they appear from the GIS as Grid_CR_suppressed_WB.shp      ( I open it and only shows me the ID column))

Then I see the raster Grid_CR_suppressed_WB.cpg and this cant open from my GIS

Thanks

0 Kudos
HernandezAstorga
New Contributor

also I have two files .dat

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Again, it is a codepage file... it provides language support ... generally is has a UTF-8 in the line

UTF-8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I could have all my text in Greek, Latin, Arabic or other alphanumerics character sets, and you would need to have the codepage file in order to see the true characters.

Windows code page - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

0 Kudos
HernandezAstorga
New Contributor

So, I need one file more... the "codepage file"?.

A silly question more..which its the appearance of this file to load it from ARCMAP or just need is make click on the geometry and this show me the information automatically.

Thanks Dan.

0 Kudos