Error: Number of shapes does not match table records

Jump to solution
09-20-2023 08:16 AM
Labels (3)
MariyanaKostov1
New Contributor III

I have merged 12 shapefile tiles of contours into one, exported it into a shapefile, and when I try to add the  shapefile to my map I get an error message

MariyanaKostov1_0-1695222862161.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The shapefile has been corrupted. Normally this is due to manipulation of the .dbf file by some dBase-III+ aware utility which is NOT shapefile aware.  But in this case, it's probable that you've simply exceeded the valid feature count on the shapefile format (the limit is based on vertex count [~76M vertices], so the actual feature limit is dependent on average vertices per feature; once the .shp writer exceeds 2^31 bytes, it stops trying).  

Your best bet to avoid this is to use file geodatabase, not shapefile (FGDB is also much smaller, since it uses compression and variable width strings).

- V

View solution in original post

1 Reply
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The shapefile has been corrupted. Normally this is due to manipulation of the .dbf file by some dBase-III+ aware utility which is NOT shapefile aware.  But in this case, it's probable that you've simply exceeded the valid feature count on the shapefile format (the limit is based on vertex count [~76M vertices], so the actual feature limit is dependent on average vertices per feature; once the .shp writer exceeds 2^31 bytes, it stops trying).  

Your best bet to avoid this is to use file geodatabase, not shapefile (FGDB is also much smaller, since it uses compression and variable width strings).

- V