I got the same error but now using model builder. See Screenshot attached below.
It causes ArcMap to crash even if you are able to run the model.
However, on using synchronize chages tool in the distributed geodatabase toolbar, the synchronization of changes works.
Has anyone resolved this? I created models to sync a number of replicas. I then exported them to Python and added them to a scheduled task run daily. They worked for a few days, then stopped. Now all I get is the 000655 error in the models. This workflow is basically essential, how do I get it to work?
I am also interested in a solution to this problem. The error arises both with ArcToolBox "Sync.." tool and with arcpy scripts.
In my case, this problem occurs only when I try to synchronize replicas with a Geodata service, but not between ArcSDE geodatabases. Geodata service was created with a 9.3 AGS.
The behaviour is random. I have scheduled a task that launch the synchronization three times (the task finish if synchronization occurs). Sometimes synch. occurs the first try... some times the second or third try... but some times never occurs.
What I have noticed using ArcToolBox is that when the error arises, the geodata service can be accesed but the list of replicas doesn't appears in the combo. So I suppose it is a problem in the Geodata Service side....
Any help will be appreciated.
Jesús de Diego
Any solution to this occurrence? Like Jesús, synchronizing replications using an arcpy script between an ArcSDE geodatabase and Geodata service works only on certain occasions. When manually synchronizing changes, it works great.
I get an ERROR 000791: Cannot access local or remote geodatabase.
Any help is appreciated.
I am using ArcGIS 10.3.1 and have come across the same issue with trying to execute the Synchronize Changes tool in both ArcCatalog and python scripts.
Disabling the Background Processing option resolved this issue in ArcCatalog but not python. I ended up removing the 64-bit Background Geoprocessing module altogether which resolved the issue for my python scripts as well. However, doing this also removes the 64-bit Python which removes the file associations for .py files. Running a repair on your ArcGIS installation should resolve this.
A better option that I eventually found was to change the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\Edit with IDLE\command and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\open\command registries so that they are pointing to your 32-bit python and IDLE versions.
I have also had other issues in the past with the 64-bit Background Geoprocessing causing problems and it is known that some tools do not work with this 64-bit module.
Hope this helps others who have come across this issue.