Enterprise GDB doesn't automatically update

12-06-2016 11:17 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

A coworker and I alternate between updating to the default in our GDB (not using versioning yet). She made updates to several feature classes today, saved, stopped editing. I couldn't see them in the attributes until I closed the MXD I was in and reopened the attributes field. Has anyone had a similar issue and found a solution?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

This is an expected behaviour. You just need to refresh Version to see the changes done by other editors. The changes will automatically not reflect in your ArcMap session.

Refreshing a version—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

But we're editing to default, not versions. 

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

That will not matter in this case.

When you add Data to an ArcMap session, the Data is referring to a particular state. When the other editor is editing the same data, its content is changing, but in your ArcMap session, it is still referencing the old state (when you had added in ArcMap).

So refreshing the Version should show the updated data in your ArcMap session as well. 

Give it a try and check if this helps!

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

And to add to the discussion, technically the DEFAULT version is a version - just the original parent to all versions.  So Asrujit is correct, you have to refresh the DEFAULT version after your coworker ends their edit session to see their edits.  I'd recommend reading the Versioning 101 whitepaper to understand Versioning - it's dated but still relevant.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok thanks! I'll test it out. I don't recall having to do this in the past so I'm not sure why I've just not noticed it. Maybe if the attributes aren't open to begin with it automatically refreshes them?

0 Kudos
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

I'm going to throw in my two cents here....

Non-versioned editing is performed directly against the base/business tables. To participate in non-versioned editing these tables cannot be versioned, so during an edit no new state would be created. This is why we can't undo changes performed during a non-versioned edit session. Hence, any changes should be directly available to anyone viewing the data. ArcMap asks question to the database and reflect the answer. So to see geometry updates we refresh the map. To see attribute updates we use the identify. The attribute table is the result of a select all against the database. If we want to see the changes there we need to reissue the select. You can close and open the attribute table or perform some sort of action that causes a re-select, sort on objectid for example.

-Adam Z