Enable ArcScan

11-01-2013 02:54 AM
HollySmith
New Contributor III
Hi,

I have ArcGIS Basic 10.1 and I want to use ArcScan. This webpage suggests I should have it (http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/extensions/arcscan)

But...

This webpage suggests it is only for Standard and Advanced (http://www.esriuk.com/software/arcgis/arcgis-for-desktop/extensions/productivity)

I have tried using it but it is not working for me. The whole toolbar is greyed out.

Any clarifications would be great.

Holly
0 Kudos
9 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi Holly,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Did you enable the extension? See this topic (and the following one): Enabling the ArcScan extension.

Melita
0 Kudos
HollySmith
New Contributor III
I have tried all those pages, but I don't think it is available at Basic level even though some of you documentation suggests it is. I have raised this issue with my local office and hopefully they can give me a definite answer.
0 Kudos
HollySmith
New Contributor III
I managed to get it working with the help of customer services. I did not have the correct raster format.

ArcScan works with a basic license but you need to enable to extension in Customize> Extenstions.

ESRIs documentation has a few conflicting sentences about ArcScan so when I raised this with customer services they said they would update the documentation across the board.

Hope that helps someone!
0 Kudos
AmyHagerdon
New Contributor

I am having a similar issue. I georeferenced a scanned map and converted it to grayscale so that I could place it into two color categories.

What steps did you take to correct the raster format? I am able to vectorize but not edit the raster. Any tips?

0 Kudos
HollySmith
New Contributor III

Hi Amy,

I'm afraid I can't help, this was 2 years ago and I can't for the life of me remember! Try converting the raster to a .tif or something else?

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

For ArcScan you need the image to be in binary ie 1 or 0, black or white (2bit). A gray scale image is 8bit.

So if you have a grayscale, you need to segment it into a 2 level image.

ArcGIS Help 10.1

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Black-and-white imagery is 1-bit (2^^1).  Two bits would allow for four states (2^^2).  Some gray-scale imagery may be 4-bits (2^^4 = 16 values), and both 4-bit and 8-bit imagery could be colormapped.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Sorry Vince, slight typo and brain fade there....

0 Kudos
AmyHagerdon
New Contributor

I segmented the grayscale into a 2 color image. I was able to batch vectorize, but unable to clean up the raster before vectorizing. Do you all know why this is happening and how I can fix it?

I am able to start the editing and raster cleanup session, but when I try to erase the imperfections using the raster painting toolbar, nothing erases. Any idea why?

0 Kudos