email post editing

09-10-2013 05:43 AM
giuseppeprocino
New Contributor II
Dear all,
I would like send an email (for example at an administrator) whenever an user modify a layer/table. The layers/table are within a version of enterprice geodatabase on ArcSDE10-Postgresql.
Is there this opportunity?

Thank in advanced.
Giuseppe P.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
That sounds like an excellent way to "mail bomb" your GIS admin.

What is your definition for "modify?"  An SQL edit?  A table structure change?
Addition of new tables?

There exist libraries for batch mail transmission, and there are ways to detect
databases changes, I just think you'd have a difficult time justifying the cost
of configuring them with any benefit that could result.

- V
0 Kudos
giuseppeprocino
New Contributor II
I would like alert an administaror when a user update/insert/delete rows within a geodatabase.

For example i would like send this email:
Dear admin,
the following tables/layers are changed with project X version:
- layer 1
- layer 2
- layer 3
- table 1

Now, you can to approve/verify these layer and post it to parent version using post/reconcile utils.
every week to remember and show to him which layer/table he must approve.

Thanks in advanced.

That sounds like an excellent way to "mail bomb" your GIS admin.

What is your definition for "modify?"  An SQL edit?  A table structure change?
Addition of new tables?

There exist libraries for batch mail transmission, and there are ways to detect
databases changes, I just think you'd have a difficult time justifying the cost
of configuring them with any benefit that could result.

- V
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Hence my concern about mail-bombing.  What would happen if a user updated every row
in a million-row table?  Would that generate a CPU-week of e-mails, crashing the mail server?

If you only want a summary analysis to do done once a day, or once a week, that's all well
and good, but the level of granularity you're suggesting (row-level) is not in any way reasonable.

I also question why it's necessary to send someone e-mail to do their job.  Wouldn't a competent
participant in the editing protocol know how often to check for outstanding  edits?  And if they don't,
why do they have a role?  It seems as if you're trying to create a nag-bot; I'd think that there would
be better ways to encourage participation.

My recommendation would be to start mining the version tree for your information, and once you
have the data collected in a report, *then* worry about how it gets communicated.

- V
0 Kudos
ChandreyeeLahiri
New Contributor III

Vince:

I'm asking the same question only I want to be emailed/notified only when a point is added to a hosted feature service. The addition of a point marks the start of a workflow in my project and I want to be notified so that I can launch a particular workflow.I'm not talking of a versioned database...just a simple hosted File Geodatabase.

Can you clarify HOW to set up email notification without the postgresq solution outlined below?

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

I have never given that sort of solution any consideration, so I cannot begin to suggest how to solve it.

I expect you'll find it challenging to associate events with rows outside a relational database context.

Good luck.

- V

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Like Vince, I'm a systems administrator and I get enough mail selling me hoses, pharmacuteculs, and low interest rate re-financing loans, not to mention those emails looking for money to help get diamonds out of some third world country....

My suggestion is to create a trigger that gets pulled upon an edit.  This trigger updates a date field.  Then instead of an email, the admin guy just queries the data for a particular edit_date.  See this thread...
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos