Editor tracking different user name

06-10-2014 09:49 PM
DariusBuinovskij2
New Contributor
Hi,

I have scenario where users uses same sql user to connect database, but I want to use ArcGIS editor tracking by seting user name from current thread. Acording to documentation ArcGIS editor tracking always uses sql user name for creator/modifier fields, that means that my scenarion could not be implemented. But I did some tests with feature service and noticed that feature service put logged in user name (in server I registered database with login "test", but to feature service I log in as "test2", in db record I get "test2").

I just need to use different user name than sql user for editor tracking, some ideas how to do that using standard editor tracking? I know that there are interfaces to configure fields used for editor tracking, also real configuration, but I do not see the way how to change user name. I can use class extensions for that, but then I don't need editor tracking.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
Have a look at the below link:

About tracking an editor's changes to data
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//01m600000068000000

Specifying how user names are recorded
For file and personal geodatabases edited with ArcGIS for Desktop clients, and ArcSDE geodatabases you connect to through operating system authentication, the user name written is the operating system login. The value used is set by the text typed by the user when he or she logs in. If he logs in as John, John writes as the user name. If the next day he logs in as john, john writes as the user name.
For ArcSDE geodatabases you connect to through database authentication, the user name is the name you use to connect to the geodatabase.
If your data resides in an ArcSDE geodatabase and you connect through database authentication, you can choose to append a realm (for example: @esri.com) to the name of the user who makes the edit. For example, if you have a user named John in your Denver office and a user named John in your Seattle office, you can track their edits as John@denver and John@seattle, respectively, so that you can be certain which John made each edit.
To set the realm for an ArcSDE geodatabase, you must have administrator privileges on the database. In the Catalog window, right-click the connection to the geodatabase, click Properties, and click the Editor Tracking tab. You can then choose whether to use the default realm or apply your own.
You can also choose to append a realm to edits made through a feature service. For more information, see Editor tracking for feature services.
DariusBuinovskij2
New Contributor
Have a look at the below link:

About tracking an editor's changes to data
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//01m600000068000000

Yes, I saw that. And it's the issue, since connected user is used for SDE Geodatabase (Sql Server, Oracle), but I want to replace it somehow to another user somehow.
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
May be I am missing something or just confused. Can you please explain a bit more about what you have right now and what you would like to implement.

** In ArcMap if you pull data from a connection which is connected as "test" user, then in Editor Tracking, "test" will be recorded as user for all the edits.

If you don't want "test" and lets say want "test2", simply create a new connection as "test2" user and pull data from that connection.

OR...

If all your editors login as "test" (just an example)...but you want to differentiate as to which user edited the data...then you need to follow the above link and make the changes in the individual user's connection properties.
0 Kudos
DariusBuinovskij2
New Contributor
If all your editors login as "test" (just an example)...but you want to differentiate as to which user edited the data...then you need to follow the above link and make the changes in the individual user's connection properties.

Yes, all users will use same sql login ("test" for example), but I want to set actual user as editor ("user1", "user2" for example). "user1", "user2" are not sql users.

But which properties you propose to change? according that link I can change realm value only, what means for me:
each user can have real value, "user1", "user2", etc... what means that in db I will get: "test@user1", "test@user2". But I want to have "user1", "user2" only.
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
Ok, but I don't think the work flow that you want is possible.....to achieve that you may have to create separate logins for each editor and create individual connections for them.....or just go for Windows Authenticated Logins if possible...whichever suits you...
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
It's best practice for each user to connect as themselves, or at least not as the owner
of the table, and not as login held in common for web access.  The Editor Tracking app
takes advantage of this best practice.  I'm surprised it still does give you a way to
differentiate users in the logs -- maybe you can just massage the logfiles to achieve
your formatting goal.

- V
0 Kudos
DariusBuinovskij2
New Contributor
Yes, it's better to use separate logins for each user, but for my scenario is requirement by the customer, which do not want to change it - will try push do do that or maybe to use windows authentication. Still I will be able to use class extensions to implement what I need if other scenarios will not be accepted.

Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos