Editing Question

02-10-2015 07:54 AM
AileenDaney1
New Contributor

My organization currently has the 30-day free trial version of ArcGIS online. In the trial version editing tables is not an option. I have "enabled editing" for each layer but my only editing option is to add to the dataset rather than edit. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I doing something wrong? Please tell me how to edit tables! I have reviewed the edit features page over and over (Edit features—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS‌). Thank you!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Aileen,

Are you trying to edit an attribute table of a point/line/polygon feature layer?  Unfortunately, you will only be able to edit the attribute information by clicking on the feature and making the edits in the popup.

0 Kudos
AileenDaney1
New Contributor

Thank you, Jake.
Yes, I am trying to edit the table of a point/line/polygon feature layer. I included a snapshot below. I still do not have editing capabilities. The edit pencil only allows me to add features. Does this have anything to do with the fact that I am in the trial version?

edit.JPG

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Navigate to the Feature Service under 'My Content'.  Click the Edit option and scroll down to the Properties section.  Be sure that you don't have 'Add feature only' checked for Editing.  Ex:

screen1.png

0 Kudos
AileenDaney1
New Contributor

Thank you again, Jake.

I followed those steps. My feature services were a bit different. Editing is apparently not even an option.editing.JPG

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

It looks like you went to the Properties of the web map.  You will want to make sure you are clicking on the Feature Layer.

screen1.png

0 Kudos
AileenDaney1
New Contributor

Got it, thank you!

So editing still only allows you to change the column content, not the column title or number of columns though, correct?

editsuccess.JPG

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Yes, that is correct.  If you wanted to edit the schema, you can do this through the REST directory, but it's a little more complicated.  See the below PDF on how to do this.

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/files/2014/10/How-to-Update-Hosted-Feature-Service-Schemas1.pdf

0 Kudos
AileenDaney1
New Contributor

Thanks for all your help!

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

If you get a chance, you can mark this thread as 'Answered'.  This helps other users within the community.

0 Kudos