Edit event layer

08-23-2011 10:10 PM
chrispurnell1
New Contributor
I am simply trying to edit an event layer which has been created from a dbf, but am continuely confronted by the same error window (attached).

This was a simple task in Arcgis 3.2 and 9.1 but for some reason is too much for 10. Can anyone suggest a remedy?

Cheers,

Chris
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanEvans
Occasional Contributor II
I think it's because an event layer is just a temporary (in memory?) layer rather than an actual feature class, so you can't edit it... You need to export the data to a shapefile or a geodatabase first then it should let you edit it.

Hope that helps!
Dan

I am simply trying to edit an event layer which has been created from a dbf, but am continuely confronted by the same error window (attached).

This was a simple task in Arcgis 3.2 and 9.1 but for some reason is too much for 10. Can anyone suggest a remedy?

Cheers,

Chris
0 Kudos
RhondaGlennon
Occasional Contributor III
Right. You can double-click a message in the list to open a help topic with more information. This warning message opens this topic:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Warning_Event_layer_not_editable/001t0...
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
As the help topic mentioned indicated, you need to export the .dbf table to a geodatabase table (file, personal, or SDE) so that the table has an ObjectID field.  This same restriction affects QueryLayers and virtually all in memory layer types.
0 Kudos