ArcMap crashes when geocoding after SP2 install

05-12-2011 10:24 AM
AndrewDecker
New Contributor II
Incident #928557

I'm having persistent crashing (ESRI error message/instant disappearance) when geocoding in 10 SP2.  I had some crashes before with 10SP1, but nothing like this.  At least five times a day, five so far and it's only 11am.  I can't make it crash and can't identify a dataset or environment setting that is causing it.  It's crashing locally on my machine as well as on our virtual server.  I didn't have problems before on our virtual server, but we put SP2 on day before yesterday and WHAM, crashola.  I've moved my data and locators around in fresh geodatabases and made fresh map documents but that hasn't mattered.  I have ArcInfo.  I renamed, on the recommendation of ESRI support, the normal.mxt and the ESRI registry to reset default settings, but that didn't work, still crashed. 

Like the tree said to the logger, I'm stumped.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
Are these locators that you created at 9.3, 10.0, 10.0 SP1, or at 10.0 SP2?  Can you share your data so that I can take a look?

Also, what are you doing when it crashes?  Are you batch geocoding, using the Find dialog, using the geocoding toolbar, reverse geocoding, etc...

Brad
0 Kudos
AndrewDecker
New Contributor II
I am testing a composite locator and several single locators.  They were either created in 10SP1 or 10SP2, I've had both crash.  A composite I built in SP2 does point to three singles built in SP1 but sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

I am batch geocoding 10 stand-alone gdb tables (2 identical sets of five tables only one set is sorted), from 1k to 72k records.  I cannot find a pattern to the locator/dataset.  I am using the geocoding toolbar, not the toolbox. 

I have attached a zip file with two of my tables.  These have crashed and they haven't.

This is also happening on two machines.  One is on XP (mine), the other is 2008.
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
Do you create a California locator and what data do you use to create it?  Also, what fields are you mapping when you create the locator?

Brad
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
I am not getting a crash but the table does fail to geocode when it gets to the record that has a <null> value in the Mailing_Address field.

Brad
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
Can you send me the crash dump from the following directory?  It should have a date on it as well.

%appdata%\ESRI\ErrorReports

Brad
0 Kudos
AndrewDecker
New Contributor II
1)  I geocode off of the "street_address" fields, not "mailing_address"
2)  Shouldn't the locator handle null values and simply not gain the scoring weights?  I know there are sporadic missing values throughout the datasets.
3)  I'm not positive what you mean by CA locator?  The zip locators in my composite are from a statewide and a national dataset, both teleatlas (different years), both build on ZIP5 locators.
3a) Field mapping is simple with TA data.  Address points where standardized using the tool, the streets come ready to geocode, zips are simple.  I can send you my config spreadsheet.  I left all the default input mappings for my purposes for now.
4)  I've attached what dmp files I could
5)  Like I said, they've worked and they haven't.  Sometimes I can go all morning okay, sometimes three crashes in a row.  The same dataset/locator will crash, and then immediately work.  New mxd's, only one table added (the only layer) at a time, re-add the locator to the manager.  I'm trying to keep it clean an simple.
0 Kudos
AndrewDecker
New Contributor II
Here is the first error report of the day also....

This locator ran great for three runs and then crashed rerunning a previously successful dataset.

On this locator/crash, I had changed the run time memory limit to 1gb.  But again, it ran fine and then didn't.
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
We are looking into this issue but don't have anything as of now.

Brad
0 Kudos
AndrewDecker
New Contributor II
Here are today's .dmp files.
0 Kudos