Duration of Connection for User

Jump to solution
01-09-2012 10:30 AM
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
What is the recommended approach for reporting how long the user was connected, since ConnectionTime is The time when the user made the initial connection to the geodatabase?  I mean, I know I could use Time, or datetime, to get a Now value, and then subtract that value from ConnectionTime, but I would not know when the user was disconnected, if they were disconnecting themselves, other then constantly pinging the database with ListUser and searching for specific users.  Is there a way to easily achieve this with the new capability at 10.1 that i am not seeing off hand using arcpy?
[INDENT][/INDENT]
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor
Thanks for the clarification. This is not something that will be possible with 10.1. We do not keep a log in the database of what users were connected and for how long. You would need to do something like you suggested to get the currently connected users and subtract their connection time from the current time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor
Ted, can you please clarify. The way I read the question is that you want to be able to find out how long a user was connected to a database whilst you are disconnecting them?
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Nope.  What I mean is I can get basic reporting now, based on the 10.1 functionality.  I would like to get a report on how long a specific user was connected.  The current capability allows to report on when they connected initially, not on how long they were connected.  Is that possible?  I am not disconnecting them.  I want to be able to report a user who connects to my database, then they log off.  I then run a script that tells me user Steve connected at 10:30am, did a sync to our database and then they logged off.  I would then use this information for network optimization.  Does this clarify more, Russell?
0 Kudos
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor
Thanks for the clarification. This is not something that will be possible with 10.1. We do not keep a log in the database of what users were connected and for how long. You would need to do something like you suggested to get the currently connected users and subtract their connection time from the current time.
0 Kudos