Double field type not honoring precision

02-02-2017 06:38 AM
Highlighted
New Contributor

I am using ArcMap for Desktop 10.5 and am trying to add a new field(Type=Double, Precision=15, Scale=0). However, when ArcMap creates the new field, it is creating it as (Type=Double, Precision=0, Scale=0). I've tried adding new fields with Precision values of 12, 10 and 2 and when I right-click on each of the new fields and go to Properties the Precision value is set to zero (see ESRI_ID2.PNG). I have tried this on a different computer running ArcMap 10.3 and the new field is set to Precision=15.

This is the case when manually adding a new field within ArcMap, or when using the AddField Tool within a python script. I am processing TomTom shapefile street data and noticed that the ID values are being rounded and the last 3 digits are replaced with zero's (ESRI_field.PNG).

Are there any ideas out here on why adding new Double type fields reverts the Precision value to zero? Is it a bug in 10.5? Is there a setting somewhere that I missed? Is my ArcMap messed up and needs to be reinstalled?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The ID field in a shapefile is integer at its creation if it is being created in ArcMap.  How/where is the ID field being created with anything other than integer ?  There were some issues of float versus double in recent versions but they were in geodatabases.  How does Tom Tom enter into this? Perhaps there implementation is different from others.

0 Kudos