DIVIDING A POLYGON

12-17-2013 04:12 AM
DjalilDahhaoui
New Contributor II
Hi,
I need to split/divide a polygon into 14 equal polygones.  is there a tool available to do such a function?
Thanks,
Djalil
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Hi,
I need to split/divide a polygon into 14 equal polygones.  is there a tool available to do such a function?
Thanks,
Djalil

No tool exists that takes a complex shape and divides it into equal area portions that I know of.  This is a complex function.  You will have to search the forum for scripts that do something similar to accomplish what you want, and I am not sure if such a scripts has been developed before.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I think you have to be more specific about what you want to accomplish and define some rules that you want your divisions to follow.  There are an infinite number of solutions if you considered multipart polygon divisions as acceptable for the solution.  Division into ring buffer, horizontal, vertical, diagonal, cubic and squiggly line sections are all possible valid approaches to the problem, but if only single part polygon divisions are allowed some classes of polygons won't have any solution with a strict adherence to some of these approaches.  So without some kind of rules or preferences that limit or rank the possible solution set the problem has no single right solution and that uncertainty only increases the complexity of validating any result as a solution to the problem.
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III

Did you try creating 'Fishnet'. Also you can use 'Parcel Fabric'.
0 Kudos
DjalilDahhaoui
New Contributor II
I think you have to be more specific about what you want to accomplish and define some rules that you want your divisions to follow.  There are an infinite number of solutions if you considered multipart polygon divisions as acceptable for the solution.  Division into ring buffer, horizontal, vertical, diagonal, cubic and squiggly line sections are all possible valid approaches to the problem, but if only single part polygon divisions are allowed some classes of polygons won't have any solution with a strict adherence to some of these approaches.  So without some kind of rules or preferences that limit or rank the possible solution set the problem has no single right solution and that uncertainty only increases the complexity of validating any result as a solution to the problem.

Hi,
the project is to divide one parcel in 14 equal size parcels.  Parcel Shapes are not important BUT must be the same for all 14.
0 Kudos