divide polygon by a multi-part polygon

02-10-2012 08:17 AM
JinMa
by
New Contributor II

I have a big polygon, within the area, there are golf courses,  I need to cut off multiple golf courses from it.  Golf course is one feature (multipart feature polygon).
I know can use Cut polygon, but it is not accurate and faster way.   Is there a GIS function just remove the multipart polygon feature from the original polygon?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
Are you looking for Clip?
0 Kudos
JinMa
by
New Contributor II
Are you looking for Clip?

NO.  Clip gives the golf courses area.  but I need area that without golf course.
If you see my attachment,  the purple area is the area I need.  ( green area is one feature of multip-part golf course)
0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
Oh, then you want Erase, which (frustratingly) only comes with ArcInfo license. You can do the same thing with Union first, then Select by Attributes for FID of shapes you want to delete, then delete them.

edit: ha! Beat you Richard Fairhurst.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
If you have an ArcInfo license you can use the Erase tool.  If you only have an ArcView licence you can use the Union tool to merge the two features so that they are cut together and have their attributes merged.  Then you can use the merged attributes to select all polygons where the attributes came from the golf course and delete them in the new feature class, or you can start an edit session on your original feature class and use the Attribute transfer tool to transfer the geometry of the union parcel with the cut out to replace the original parcel (or export the cut out shape into a new feature class or copy/paste it into the original. Your choice).
0 Kudos