Distributed Geodatabase Network I/O error

01-09-2014 08:38 AM
DanaStuckey
New Contributor
ArcSDE 9.3.1
ArcGIS Desktop 10 SP5
Disconnected synchronization process.

When importing an xml file using the Import Changes button from the distributed geodatabases toolbar (Arc10) the process errors.  It will run until it reaches 5877 objects and then progress slows way down to only process 100 features at a time until it reaches 6577 and it errors saying:
Import Changes failed.
Network I/O error.
Network I/O error [Sync_Send_101_9][STATE_ID = 1769]
Network I/O error [Sync_Send_101_16]
The workspace is not connected.

We have had no issue for several months importing and exporting files.
Has anyone else experienced this?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Occasional Contributor III
Hello!  By any chance, did you upgrade your clients to ArcGIS Desktop 10 SP5 several months ago?
0 Kudos
DanaStuckey
New Contributor
We were actually running Arc10 without any service packs.  I added each one, testing the import after each install and none of them fixed the problem.  I had high hopes for SP4 based on NIM073679 (Importing a data change message after edits are made in the parents results in the follwoign error: Import changes failed...The workspace is not connect.)  We are now at SP5 on the client machines.
0 Kudos
Was it working before you upgraded to 10?  If possible, downgrade a single client to 9.3.1 and test if the synch works correctly.  That would at least rule one thing out, perhaps.
0 Kudos
DanaStuckey
New Contributor
We haven't recently upgraded to 10.  It had been working fine in 10 for several months.  We did try it on a 9.3 client just for kicks though but that didn't work.
0 Kudos
Well, so much for low-hanging fruit!  I wonder if it could be some type of timeout issue.  Can you create a duplicate dataset, delete half of its features, and then try the process again?  Maybe it is the process' duration which causes the problem. 

Also, we experienced Network I/O errors for months.  Our issue was resolved by removing all service connections with direct connections.  My suspicion for the root cause is our own SDE/desktop version differential.  I would ensure the presence of only direct connections in the mxd which creates the xml.
0 Kudos
HeatherMcCracken
Esri Contributor
Have you tried using a delta file geodatabase instead of using a delta XML? Does that fail as well?
0 Kudos