Direction Connection to ArcSDE Problems

Jump to solution
04-30-2012 11:02 AM
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III
I've inherited a SQL & ArcSDE / ArcGIS Server stack (SQL & ArcSDE on one machine, ArcGIS Server on a second).
I'm using the instructions here: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Geodatabase_connections_in_ArcGIS_Desk...

I can successfully create a connection is I DON'T use the direct connection syntax, and instead use just the port number (5151).  Please see the two images below. 
When I change the service field to use a direct connection string, all the sudden I get a bad login user error, even though I did not change the account credentials.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

This connection doesn't work... (failed to connect to the specified server. Bad login user).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13954[/ATTACH]

This connection does work. 
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13955[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: kpeter

Is the SQL Server Browser service running for the SQL Server instance?  By default, named instances of SQL Server don't use a specific port, and you need the SQL Server Browser to identify the port number.  If the SQL Server Browser is not running, was the instance explicitly set to use a specific port number?  If so, then you should specify that port number after the instance name in the service connection string:

sde:sqlserver:myservername\mssqlserver,<port#>

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unless your SQL Server instance name includes ":5151", take that out of the direct connection syntax.  It should be

sde:sqlserver:myservername\mssqlserver

assuming that your SQL Server instance name is myservername\mssqlserver.
0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory
If I take out the :5151, I get a completely different error
Failed to connect to the specified server. Failure to access the DMBS server

I assumed that the bad user login error was better because at least it got to the authentication stage (and failed).  This error seems a little trickier to troubleshoot, particularly I was able to access the database using just the port in the "service" field.  Any idea on how I could troubleshoot this error?

I'm running SQL Server 2005 on my SDE machine, and have the 2008 native client on my ArcGIS machine...

Thanks, Jay
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is the SQL Server Browser service running for the SQL Server instance?  By default, named instances of SQL Server don't use a specific port, and you need the SQL Server Browser to identify the port number.  If the SQL Server Browser is not running, was the instance explicitly set to use a specific port number?  If so, then you should specify that port number after the instance name in the service connection string:

sde:sqlserver:myservername\mssqlserver,<port#>
0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory
Thanks - I took a look around the configuration manager on SQL, and saw that the TCP/IP protocol was using a different port (not 5151).  The browser service was running, so I replaced my connection string with yours, sde:sqlserver:myservername\mssqlserver,<port#>, specifying the correct port number, and the connection worked! 
Thanks again for your help. 

Jay
0 Kudos