Desktop Client Issues in 10.5 When Using Oracle SDE Database

1979
8
04-19-2017 10:13 AM
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I have been performing some testing of ArcGIS for Desktop 10.5 for my organization's upgrade later this year from 10.3.1.  I had some broken links with older Oracle 10g Client connections that I wanted to update to Oracle 11g Client connections.  I did not have an issue when resourcing SDE connections for a user with only select privileges (Read-only), but I was unable to perform this resourcing for users with edit privileges (Write).  In addition, broken connections to feature classes that were not in an SDE feature dataset display the password of the SDE user which is a big database security issue (This does not occur on feature classes within a feature dataset).

After discovering that I could not fix an existing connection for an SDE user with edit privileges on a feature class, I then went to a new mxd and tried to add the same feature class from the same SDE connection and I received an error saying "Insufficient permissions".

On the surface this seems like a big issue as it impacts editors of SDE who would be the organization's power GIS users and they would be unable to modify the feature classes that they are responsible for.

Has anyone encountered any issues such as these when using an Oracle based SDE database?

Tags (3)
Reply
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Esri Frequent Contributor
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Michael, the issues you are experiencing certainly sound like they could be associated with the noted defect in the other thread: 

BUG-000104457 - Error: “Opening feature class. Insufficient permissions” is encountered while adding data to ArcMap 10.5 session using Data Owner. 

 I would definitely recommend reaching out to Esri Support Services to confirm this is the same 10.5 / Oracle role permissions issue you are running into. If you have any questions please feel free to let me know!

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I am currently working with ESRI technical support on this issue as it has been escalated to a Tier 2 support person.  

Would you know if the issue exists for an Oracle 12c database?

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

That's great to hear Michael. I can verify that regrettably, this issue will still be persistent at Oracle 12c at this time.

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

FYI,

The 10.5 patch to address BUG-000104457: 

Esri Support 10.5  

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

This issue has indeed been fixed in 10.5.1, but I am getting additional permissions issues when performing other operations in the Oracle 12c SDE 10.5.1 database from a 10.5.1 desktop client as described below.

The SDE Administrator needed to update an SDE feature class where the database needed to be compressed to state 0 and then a truncate and append needed to be performed on the SDE feature class as it's update procedure.  This procedure failed with insuffucient permissions for the schema owner in Desktop 10.5.1, but this procedure worked as the schema owner in Desktop 10.3.1.  As such it appears that there is a permissions issue when working with a 10.5.1 Oracle 12c database when using a 10.5.1 Desktop client.

Has anyone encountered this issue in the 10.5.x environment?

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Michael,

Our firm has recently upgraded from Oracle 10g to 12c and ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1 to 10.5.1 and we did not face any issues you have mentioned above.

The SDE Administrator needed to update an SDE feature class where the database needed to be compressed to state 0 and then a truncate and append needed to be performed on the SDE feature class as it's update procedure.  This procedure failed with insuffucient permissions for the schema owner in Desktop 10.5.1, but this procedure worked as the schema owner in Desktop 10.3.1.  As such it appears that there is a permissions issue when working with a 10.5.1 Oracle 12c database when using a 10.5.1 Desktop client.

We did perform this before we went ahead with the upgrade.